Altering my face, side profile - Considering rhinoplasty and chin implant (photo)

Hello, I've started to feel very self conscious about my side appearance recently and it's been affecting my social life I'm happy with my front appearance (pic1) but I'd like to make my face look balanced from the side, especially my nose (pic2) I'm not sure how this could be achieved by I've very recently found out about rhinoplasty and chin implants, so I was wondering if a nose change (to make it smaller and curve inwards, rather than outwards) and possibly a chin implant would help? Thanks

Altering my face, side profile - Considering rhinoplasty and chin implant

A rhinoplasty with chin implant can help balance your profile. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she may use computer imaging software to morph a photo of you, which will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Congratulations you've made a very accurate assessment of your situation. What the patient sees is so needs to coincide with the surgeon's observations. You could benefit greatly from a rhinoplasty and a chin implant. This will alter your profile to a more balanced and harmonious look. These two procedures are frequently done together. The main complaint many rhinoplasty patients express is that they are not happy with their profile. Taking the time to explain what an attractive, balanced profile should be, the patients will oftentimes see the need for a mentoplasty ( this can be done with insertion of a chin implant) It is fairly straight forwrad procedure which I perform through the inside of the mouth.

Always seek out a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck

Rhinoplasty and Chin to balance out profile.

Hello and thank you for your question.
A rhinoplasty along with a chin implant are commonly done together and would likely make a very nice change to your profile appearance. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Possible rhinoplasty and chin implant

The nose and chin frequently compliment one another and influence the balance of the face, especially from the profile view.  Your chin is fairly well projected already, so I would say you have a couple of options.  You could just have the rhinoplasty alone done, which would affect your profile and I believe have more of an influence than projecting your chin.  The other option is do have both the rhinoplasty and chin implant, but I would make sure that your chin is not over projected with the implant.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reduction rhinoplasty and chin implant

Thanks for your question.  You seem to already have a good idea of what would improve your appearance.  This would entail a dorsal hump takedown (reduction rhinoplasty) along with a chin implant.  These are fairly commonly performed together, so you are not in rare company here.  You could also have sliding genioplasty, but I think that the implant would likely give you what you want.  You have good facial structure and nice features, so those procedures are likely to give you a fairly dramatic result from the profile view and three-quarter view  (you didn't include this view, so I am inferring).  These procedures together will restore the balance of your forehead, nose and chin.  Be well!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving Facial Profile Appearance

A normal attractive facial profile depends upon a balanced prominence of the nose, upper and lower lips, and the chin. If the chin, or whole lower jaw is too far back the profile tends to look "softer", or not as strong or masculine. If the chin or lower jaw are too prominent, the profile looks "too strong" or excessively masculine.
In your case, both the upper and lower jaws are back a little too far. Your chin, in relation to your lower jaw is actually fairly "strong", but it could be brought forward a little. You must compare your profiles when at rest and when smiling. In many people, a "weak" chin at rest will look "strong" during smiling. If it looks "weak" at rest and when smiling, it can be augmented.
My overall impression is that you would benefit from moving your whole lower jaw forward if your dental bite will permit, or you may want to move both your upper and lower jaws forward. You would need orthodontic treatment to assist with either jaw procedure. These procedures may well be more extensive than you feel you need. As you said, you are happy with your frontal appearance, and your profile is certainly acceptable. A rhinoplasty may produce the change you are looking for. Computer imaging would help you see how you could look.

Kevin L. McBride, DDS
Dallas Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Facial Balance

You are correct. Your face can be divided into upper, lower, and middle thirds. Your middle third [ie your nose] is very large and forward projecting in profile, and your lower third [your chin] is underprojecting ["weak"] , causing you face to be out of balance.A rhinoplasty can re balance and improve the shape of your nose, lessening the forward projection, while the chin implant can increase the forward projection of your chin, making the chin appear 'stronger' in profile. An extended Anatomic chin implant will provide both better chin projection and a stronger appearing lower jaw in both profile and front view.The combination of the two procedures is the key to re balancing your profile and achieving a more masculine and pleasing appearance. Good luck!

Chin implant and rhinoplasty

Ultimately, the patient should decide whether they really want facial cosmetic surgery or not. If you do decide to go ahead with a chin implant and rhinoplasty, it's very important to consult a reputable, experienced facial plastic surgeon to get an expert opinion on the options available to you. Ask to see before and after photos. Our clinic has a VECTRA 3D imaging system, which simulates the expected results so you can preview what you would look like. It's common to have a chin implant and a rhinoplasty done at the same time, and there are several advantages to doing so, such as better harmony of facial features, a single recovery, and lower cost.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant combination

The rhinoplasty procedure can refine the nose by narrowing the tip and bridge and de-projecting the overall profile of the nose.
A chin implant can be inserted through a sub mental approach to augment the frontal projection of the chin to help balance with your nose and facial features.
The combination of de-projecting the nose and increasing the projection of the chin helps significantly with facial balance. Both procedures can be performed under one anesthetic and one recovery period.