Do liquid facelifts and temporary fillers cause future sagginess once they disappear?

I have heard this before, have gotten temporary fillers for YEARS, and recently read an article referring to the sagging temporary fillers can cause. It kind of makes sense, since losing and gaining weight is supposed to cause sagging, and what can one do about this?

Do fillers cause sagging when they wear off?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
When used properly by an expert injector fillers will not cause stretching of the tissues and therefore, will not cause later sagging.  Fillers are used to replace lost volume, a common effect of the aging process, and while temporary, can rejuvenate the face significantly.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you do not touch up or maintain your filler, then your skin will return to how it looked before.

No, properly injected filler will not stretch out your skin to the point that it will become saggy after the filler dissipates. If you do not touch up or maintain your filler, then your skin will return to how it looked before, and of course the natural aging process will continue with or without fillers. Always be sure to visit a board-certified dermatologist for any filler injections to ensure the best results.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Late Effects of Fillers and Liquid Facelifts

Unless you have the area significantly overfilled and stretched (which an expert injector should not do), you will never have post filler absorption sagging. In fact, almost no one returns to their pre filler state as the body uses some of the filler to create its own collagen. Even after the filler has long been absorbed (in those people who do not return regularly for touchups), I never have to inject the same amount of filler to achieve the same result as I did the last time. Of course, if you wait long enough after one episode of filler, you can sag further from normal aging. This, however, is not the result of placing a filler. When done properly by someone who knows what they are doing, fillers can actually slow the aging process by supporting the tissues. (See ExpertInjector.org as there are very many people doing injections without significant training or experience.)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Sagginess after fillers

Thank you for your question. Fillers will not cause laxity to your skin as long as you don't "overdo" it. 

Hyaluronic acid fillers or HA fillers can prolong the need to undergo surgery. The results of a liquid face lift are immediate, and with very little to no downtime! You may get some light swelling or bruising, however many of my patients come on their lunch break and resume all normal activities within 24-48 hours. Results vary, but it can last up to 2 years. The cost is relative to surgery, the difference being the instant gratification and little to no down time. 

The LiteLift™ is a modified facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons, Dr. Jed Horowitz and myself. We created this facelift technique with the goal of providing a less invasive, natural looking option for women and men wanting to refresh their appearance with less downtime and fewer risks. The LiteLift™ is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue, and overlying skin. It is not a superficial skin lift like other mini-lifts performed elsewhere. The LiteLift™ facelift is also not a “Thread-lift” or “String-lift,” and is not to be confused with the mega facelift chain “Lifestyle Lift,” which has closed its doors nationwide.

The LiteLift™ modified facelift technique perfected by us, results in less swelling, bruising, and healing compared to traditional facelift procedures. Most LiteLift™ patients have their procedure performed under local anesthesia, which reduces healing time, because they don’t experience the after effects of general anesthesia. Many patients are able to go back to work within one week.

I hope this helps you, be well!

Once your liquid treatment wears away (assuming you're not going to maintain your good looks achieved!), you will return to your pretreatment look plus add the additional aging time that has passed. I don't think you're going to like "letting yourself go" when you see the improvements from liquid facelift.

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Liquid FaceLift

Thank you for your question. A Liquid Facelift helps restore your face’s naturally young and healthy appearance. The treatment uses dermal fillers such as Restylane and Bellafill which help your wrinkles dissipate and any sunken areas of your face. Fillers will not cause sagginess once they dissolve. Your skin will return to the normal aging process as before. Please make sure to seek treatment from a board-certified dermatologist. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

SKIN REGULATES TENSION

When filler is injected it increases and stretches surrounding tissue.  The skin maintains a baseline tension. Acute increases in pressure cause increase tension and the skin will stretch to accommodate this.  The pregnant abdomen is an example.  As the fetus enlarges, it increases the pressure on the abdominal wall and skin.  Tension increases and the tissues stretch to restore baseline tension.  That is why the abdomen enlarges without exploding.  After delivery, the tissues somehow sense tension below baseline, and the abdomen and skin shrink until baseline tension is resumed. Not everyone shrinks the same, but everyone shrinks.

Fillers exert the same phenomena on a smaller scale. When injected, they increase pressure and tension. 

The tissues respond by stretching to normalize the tension. As the filler metabolizes the tissues shrink to normalize.  With good elastic tissue, the skin is usually not permanently stretched or damaged.

However, the aging process proceeds un-retarded. Facial sagging and aging proceeds according to your genetic programming.  The fillers may be masking these changes and they seem more pronounced as the fillers wear off.

This is why attempts to "lift" the nasolabial fold with fillers in the cheeks, is not sound science.  The skin rapidly relaxes, often leading to more filler in the cheeks to chase it. The cheeks then start to look over full and sometimes bizarre.  Fillers should be used to fill, not to lift.

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

Liquid Facelift - What happens when it wears off?

Thank you for your question. Facial fillers do not cause the tissues to stretch when properly injected. They simply restore the skin to its more youthful state, prior to the age associated loss of volume. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in facial rejuvenation for an in-person examination. Hope this helps.

No, when used properly the use of dermal fillers should cause future sagginess. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon for the proper use of dermal fillers. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Tissue sagging from facial fillers

Thank you for asking about your facial fillers.
  • I have also heard this but there is no way to tell for sure -
  • It would take a long-term study done by injecting people with fillers only on one side -
  • No one would agree to that.
  • My impression from what I see is that fillers that plump up areas that have lost volume do not sag.
  • But over-filling an area can stretch the tissues.
  • Many liquid face lifts use 5 - 10 syringes of filler - with this amount of filler, stretching might occur.
  • With the usual 1 - 2 syringes, I don't this it does.
  • I think the real problem is that over years, our tissues naturally sag - it's from time, not from fillers.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.