Can hernia repair & tummy tuck be performed at the same time? If so are there any surgeons in Central FL who can perform it?

I had a baby 4 years ago and was diagnosed with Diastasis Recti 3inch separation (it's probably larger by now). I have recently found out I have a small umbilical hernia & would like to have them repaired simultaneously. I am a busy mom & would like to recover from one surgery vs two. The condition is causing me great discomfort and I want to get back to normal.

Hernia Repair

If an umbilical hernia is very small I will typically repair it at the time of surgery along with diastasis recti. However, If you have a significant hernia your Plastic Surgeon may advise having a general surgeon skilled in that area operate. It would be best that you meet for a consultation in person. Be sure to seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Yes, an umbilical hernia can be repaired while doing a tummy tuck. It's actually the most opportune time to do it as it is exposed during the TT.

I recommend Dean Johnson, MD in Orlando. He is a board certified plastic  surgeon with lots of experience. Best of luck to you.

Can I repair an umbilical hernia and perform a tummy tuck at the same time?

What a good question, and certainly very appropriate!  Many Board Certified Plastic Surgeons do this often in their practice, and I certainly do this procedure very frequently.  This is a great time to get opinions, check out the office staff, see the office of the doctors that you may be considering,  see what fits your schedule,  plan on relaxing as you make your assessments, etc.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Board Certified Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Can hernia repair & tummy tuck be performed at the same time?

Thank you for your question as it is one I get often. The answer is they both can absolutely be repaired at the same time and should be. Since there is perfect exposure to the hernia during the tummy tuck it is very easy to fix and a lot of times will be covered by insurance. I would look for board certified plastic surgeons here on RealSelf and review their profiles to see what patients are saying about them and their individual experience. Best of luck!

Dr. Basile

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Hernia

Small umbilical hernias and rectus diastasis are very commonly corrected at the time of an abdominoplasty.  Most plastic surgeons correct these themselves.  Just ask your surgeon.  Otherwise, a general surgeon can come in to repair the umbilical hernia at the time of the abdominoplasty.   Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Tummy tuck hernia

Most plastic surgeons are trained in general surgery as well. Tummy tucks are performed with hernia repairs all the time, sometimes without the doctor or patient even knowing they are there before hand. Simply ask you surgeon if this can be done. It may even offset some of the cosmetic costs.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Both an umbilical hernia and muscle diastasis can be repaired during a tummy tuck procedure and depending on the size of the umbilical hernia all ASPS board certified plastic surgeons will be able to perform this operation in a single stage. Hope this helps.

YES! But in Miami I and my associate do the TT part while a hernia General Surgeon does the hernia repair part in hospital.

In my opinion, the best time to repair the umbilical hernia is at the same time that you are having a tummy tuck done. At that time, the hernia is easily  exposed and repaired,  negating the need for further surgery. Care must be taken during the performance umbilical hernia repair to avoid compromise of blood flow to the overlying skin.

It would be in your best interest to have these procedures done concomitantly.

Please make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

I hope this and the attached link/video, helps.

Thanks for your post and provided information as well. An umbilical hernia repair and a tummy tuck can be performed at the same time… this is commonly done for simple hernia repairs. If the umbilical hernia is small, many plastic surgeons would repair these themselves at the same time of the tummy tuck. If the umbilical hernia is moderate to large or complicated (not reducible), most plastic surgeons would pass this on to their general surgery collogues. I recommend to talk about this with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD