Should I consider rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I hate my nose more than any kid that bullied me for it. I wish to have a smaller nose with no hump. I also believe I have a deviated septum which is restricting my breathing. What is the cheapest I can have it fixed for and will insurance cover some of the cost considering I can't breathe through half of my nose.

Doctor Answers 3

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty candidate

  A thorough examination of the internal and external portion of the nose is required to document the fact that the breathing issues are caused from a deviated septum.  There are many issues inside the nose that can cause nasal obstruction.  A septoplasty is performed for functional purposes on the inside of his, once medical necessity  has been documented.  A  septoplasty does not change the shape of the nose.  A cosmetic rhinoplasty is performed to change the shape of the nose which must be paid for separately by the patient.  Both procedures can be performed together under the same anesthesia with the same recovery..  For more information about the differences between the 2 procedures, please see the link and the video below

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews


Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  A spetoplasty and spreader grafts may help your breathing.  Depending on your insurance carrier, septoplasty and spreader grafts are usually covered.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 122 reviews

Should I consider rhinoplasty?

Thank you for your question and pictures.  Sorry to hear that you are being bullied for this, no one should have to go through that.  Schedule a consultation with a reputable board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon in your area.  Your surgeon will be able to address your thoughts and concerns with a treatment plan.  Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.