Belly button closure scar? (Photos)

I'm 7 weeks post op from a TT. I wasn't expecting a vertical scar below my BB. My PS assures me that these pleats below my BB will flatten and look fine. Do you all agree? Is a revision a possibility? I've had 3 c-sections so I know I scar really well. I'm nervous this will look awful

Scars mature for well over a year and the progress can be slow. So long as it is continuing to change for the better, even if slowly, that is a good sign. Follow your surgeon's instructions for the best opportunity for the best result. Any potential revisions should not be considered for at least a year.

Abdominoplasty incision

Thanks for your question and for the photos.
Your belly looks good and the lower transverse incision was well done and healing nicely.  The vertical pleating seems to be caused by bringing the lateral (side) skin towards the middle.  Usually by 7 weeks much of it has dissipated but some people take longer to flatten out.  I would listen to your Plastic Surgeon who knows what was done during your surgery.  If you have any concerns at 9 months, a 'touch up' procedure can be performed.
Best of luck.
Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Scar after TT

Thank you for your question. Over a period of time your scar will mature and look better. If it is not to your satisfaction in 6-9 months it can be revised. Please follow instructions for scar management from your PS

Belly button closure scar

Thank you for sharing your photographs and question. I can see your area of concern and I wonder how much of the pleated skin is related to the scar as it is difficult to see one similar to the horizontal one from your tummy tuck.  In most cases at 7 weeks any pleating will continue to improve and smooth with time but voice your concerns to your surgeon, they are in the best position to help you improve upon your scarring and provide reassurance that the pleating will improv.e

Scarring after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the healing process, at 7 weeks. It is hard to determine if that is wrinkling of the skin or an actual scar. I would recommend waiting a full 3 months after surgery to make any decisions as to if anything needs to be done. If it is wrinkling it will more than likely even itself out. Good luck with recovery.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button After Tummy Tuck

It's difficult to tell from the photos if you have an actual vertical scar below your belly button or if the tissue is just wrinkled. I see a lot of "wrinkling" of the tissues like this during the first several weeks as the tight compression garment is being worn. Some patients even end up with little open areas if they are not careful about protecting the skin. Often when the tight garment is worn, the skin is pressed together in the middle. When skin rubs on skin, especially in a warm, moist environment, it can breakdown and result in small open wounds. Protect the skin under the garment by putting a dry gauze in this area, preventing the skin from rubbing on skin as it is folded and wrinkled up. When you are done wearing the garment, ask your board certified plastic surgeon about scar massage to smooth out this area faster. Best of luck to you!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs. Your scars will continue to refine for the next year. You can begin to use scar treatments such as silicone strips, creams, vitamin E oil or laser treatments to further reduce the appearance of your surgical scars. Scars are generally refined to fine incision lines one year after surgery though. If after a year you are still unhappy with the appearance of your scar then a scar revision can be considered at this time. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon