Can you lipo abdominal fat during tummy tuck? (Photo)

I'm 8dpo, I feel like my belly is still as fat as it was, just not longer have a fat "roll". I got lipo from flanks but doctor said he couldn't lipo abdominal fat during surgery because of the interference with the blood supply from the surgery. I know the upper abdominal fat is thicker but feel this could have been thinned out when pulled down. If I go back for lilo is that something that can be done office? Don't want another huge bill for something I thought I already paid for!

Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. Liposuction is commonly done with Abdominoplasty. You would have discussed the details of your surgical plan with your Plastic Surgeon pre operatively if this was to be included with your surgery. At 8 days post op I would certainly expect swelling which will slowly subside but could last a few months or more. It is too soon to evaluate whether you need additional liposuction for the abdomen until all swelling is resolved. I recommend that you wait until 6 months post op to evaluate  and see your Plastic Surgeon to discuss additional work if desired at that time.

All the best

Can you lipo abdominal fat during tummy tuck?

At this point you are early in the healing process. Swelling will continue to settle and scars will continue to improve. Follow up with your surgeon as directed.

Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and pictures.  You can most certainly do upper abdominal liposuction at the same time as a TT safely.  It is called Lipoabdominoplasty and I routinely do it when the patients need upper abd lipo.  But you are still too early in the healing phase to know your final results.  Give you healing the proper time and then you can determine if you need lipo.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Lipo with tummy tuck?

I almost always lipo my tummy tuck patients, especially around the flanks.  However the upper tummy (above your navel) can be liposuctioned,as well.

liposuction can also be done after tummy tuck.  You appear to still be swollen, and I would wait at least 6 months after to surgery to make this decision.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with tummy tuck

While it is true that liposuction done at the same time as a tummy tuck will risk the blood supply, this dictum is more appropriate when in older style of tummy tuck which separated a lot of skin from its blood supply was done. More modern tummy tucks have limited separation of the skin especially above the bellybutton and this will allow for liposuction of the fat below the superficial fascia. Since you are early in the recovery., Some of this may be swelling. Please be patient and follow up with your plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Lipo after tummy tuck

You are still very early in your healing so some of the swelling will go down.  If you are still puffy months after surgery you can discuss doing doing some liposuction then. Continue to use your compression garments to help in the mean time 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction at same time as tummy tuck.

The answer depends on your individual situation.  Liposuction will interfere with the blood supply and may potentially increase the risk of having healing problems.  This is higher in smokers and in some other situations.  However if you are healthy without other medical factors it is common to do conservative liposuction of the abdomen in many patients .  Consult your plastic surgeon. 

Lawrence Rosenberg, MD
Lutherville Timonium Plastic Surgeon

Lipo after abdominoplasty

Yes, your doctor is correct. Most surgeons who do traditional abdominoplasty  elevate the central abdominal skin flaps. Therefore it is unsafe to aggressively liposuction the central portion of your abdomen between your vertical nipple lines. However once your abdominoplasty has healed, it is safe to go back and liposuction  that central zone. I would usually wait probably 3 months before doing this. This can help with any residual fatty deposits. Good luck hope this helps.

Richard Hainer, MD
Rochester Plastic Surgeon

Yes, liposuction can be done at the same time as Tummy Tuck. In Florida, we are limited to 1000cc of fat removal at the same time as Tummy Tuck. Usually, this is best removed from the flanks in order to optimize the hour-glass look.