Testing prior to mommy make over?

I am 36 years old and am scheduled for a mommy makeover on 11/1. My doc said that I don't need any type of tests prior (blood, heart, etc) Is this normal?

Pre operative testing

The decision of whether or not to do preoperative testing will vary by surgeon as well as by patient.  If you are a healthy person with no serious issues in your medical history, some surgeons will decide to forego preoperative labs.  If you are concerned about this I encourage you to speak with your surgeon so that he/she may address the reasoning behind the decision.

Multiple procedures

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for  a mommy makeover , your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Mommy make-over - is testing necessary?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Every surgeon is different and the need for testing varies with your age.
  • Some surgeons order large - and probably unnecessary - batteries of tests feeling it gives them legal protection if something goes wrong.
  • If you are in good health, one can argue that there is no necessity for testing at your age.
  • However because so many women your age can be anemic without knowing it, I routinely do a Hgb (hemoglobin) to be sure my patients - unless they have recent blood work from their regular doctor. 
  • Any other testing varies with their health.
  • A pregnancy test is routinely given immediately before your surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Prep Tests

I would agree, you don't need any prep tests, unless you have a strong family history of breast cancer, or if very extensive surgery is being done (assuming you don't have any other health issues). Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

Pre-op Testing Before Surgery

Thank you for your question. Testing before a surgical procedure with anesthesia depends on the patient's age, past medical history (general health issues), length of surgery and type of surgical procedure. These factors determine whether your surgeon and anesthesiologist require pre-operative testing and medical clearance. Women of child bearing age typically need a pregnancy test performed prior to anesthesia/surgery. Other routine tests include labs to check your hemoglobin level (to make sure you are not anemic/low blood level). Typically, I request pre-anesthesia clearance for longer cases. Feel free to ask your board-certified surgeon about your concerns. Good luck with your surgery.

Quite surprising. I recommend that you see your medical doctor and ask for medical clearance for a 4-6 hour operation. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon 

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Medical testing for surgery

Hello and thank you for the question. Testing is based on the type of procedure being planned and the age / health status of the patient. 
For the typical mommy makeover, a blood test is commonly required. Anemia is the most common health issue that would preclude a patient from having surgery. Either as a result of heavy menstrual bleeding, or lack of protein/iron intake. 
Some patients have problems with iron absorption and need to have iron iv infusions performed. This is something that you would need to address with your primary care MD beforehand. 

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Testing Prior to MommyMakeover- Is It Necessary?

A "Mommy Maker" is generally a combined procedure addressing post-pregnancy changes to a woman's breasts and abdomen. This can involve placement of breast implants with or without a mastopexy (breast lift), or a lift alone. Almost always an abdominoplasty with liposuction is also performed. This surgery is performed under general anesthesia usually as an outpatient. Because it can require an extended period under anesthesia (up to 8 hours is possible) patients considering this surgery need to be healthy, close to their realistic ideal weight and not smoking. Because some blood loss can occur during the procedure the patient should also not be anemic, which can occur following childbirth. Testing is indicated if it is part of the anesthesia protocol or if there any concerns about the woman's health status, such as anemia or an infection (e.g., UTI). A urine pregnancy test is mandatory. Best wishes for your procedure!

Scott A. Brenman, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

Scott A. Brenman, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Pre admission testing for mommy makeover

In general, there are guidelines we use prior to surgery that have been set by anesthesia doctors and surgeons. A healthy 36 y/o would likely only need a pregnancy test prior to surgery. 

I hope that helps.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Pre-Op Testing

Great Question!  We need to contend with these concerns every day.  It seems that the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) has studied this question quite a bit.  They feel that pre-op testing on an otherwise healthy person under age 50 is a complete waste of medical resources, time, and money.  There is simply nothing to be tested for that is likely to be abnormal.

With that said, in my office we routinely check basic labs before bringing anyone into my office OR.  After age 50 we also ask for an EKG and an internists note stating the patient is healthy enough for surgery.

I'm sure you will be fine...Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD