Am I good tummy tuck candidate? (Photos)

Getting a tummy tuck on 11/1 and have been reading a lot about visceral fat. I've had three LARGE babies (haha) and therefore assume this stomach is from stretched skin. When I bend over (see photos), I can gather the skin and can pinch it. My doc will be doing lipo as well. Should I expect a dramatic and "good" result?

Grab test

A good way to determine what fat can be removed with a tummy tuck and liposuction is the grab test. If you can grab the excess fat in your hands, then it can be removed. It looks like you do have grab-able fat and loose skin, particularly evident in the photo of you bending over. This can both be removed. You probably do have some visceral fat, but I suspect you’ll probably get a good improvement from your surgery regardless.

Good Candidate

A typical full abdominoplasty is performed after patients are done bearing children or after moderate weight loss. It can be a powerful procedure that can flatten and remove excess skin from both above and below the belly button and tighten the abdominal muscles

The improvement in contour depends on many factors. These factors include the extent of skin tightening and plication performed, the amount of pre-operative muscle laxity, the overall attenuation (thinness) of the abdominal wall, the amount of intra-abdominal fat (fat inside the belly), and the amount of subcutaneous fat (fat in the skin).

The ideal abdominoplasty patient is at or near their ideal weight, is stable at that weight for 6 months to year, is physically and nutritionally healthy, and is looking for help in removing excess, hanging skin. Realistic expectations are important. 

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step. 

See our link below for more information and pricing.

TT Result

You should get a excellent result. You have some laxity of your muscles after the babies and have drooping skin. This should both be addressed. Based on the photos, you do not have significant visceral fat. Glad to hear there is also liposuction involved in your case. Best of luck. 

Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. You seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction. A special kind of tummy tuck I perform is called a Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty. This procedure tightens the abdominal muscles that can be separated during pregnancy and removes loose skin. By combining this procedure with liposuction for additional contouring, you will have a flat tummy and dramatic results. You should have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Am I good tummy tuck candidate?

Thank you for your question. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Expect a Good Result, Yes

Your photos suggest you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. If you choose an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon with solid before-and-after photos, I believe you will get a good result. "Dramatic" is in the eye of the beholder, however. It's not possible to determine how much visceral fat is present without a physical exam, but a tummy tuck alone doesn't address visceral fat. I believe a tummy tuck combined with liposuction is a good approach.

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Am I good tummy tuck candidate?

You could probably benefit from a bit of weight loss prior to surgery, but I think that you can have a significant improvement with tummy tuck.

Am I a good TT candidate?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. I think you are an excellent candidate for a TT and should expect a very good result.  How flat your stomach will be depends on the amount of visceral fat you have which can only be determined through an in-person examination.  Hope this helps.

Am I good tummy tuck candidate?

Thank you for your question and photo.  Yes, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes!

Am I good tummy tuck candidate?

Thank you for your question and greetings to Allentown, PA.  I spent several years in nearby Easton in school.

You appear to be a very good candidate for a full tummy tuck but the degree of prominence of visceral fat is difficult to assess without a face-to-face exam.  I advise patients to lose weight before their surgery if their stomachs resist flattening on examination and this cannot be judged based on a photograph.  It is probably in your best interest to get down to a lower weight if it is possible before the procedure without starving yourself or taking diet pills.  Do the best you can to exercise, diet and eat in a healthy manner between now and your surgical procedure and then enjoy your results.

Best wishes for a good result

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD