I've noticed the past few years almost as if my cheeks lost some volume, cheek fillers? (photo)

They look very sunken in and worst of all I get this line around my lips that stands out almost like a chimpanzees mouth. What can I do to diminish the lines and even out my cheeks. I figured fillers would be the best option, but which filler or what other options do I have? (It's much more noticeable in person)

Doctor Answers 9

Facial Sculpting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your photos!  Your issue seems to be that you have a very thin face but very full and youthful appearing lips.  I suspect that you have always had a relatively thin face and as we get older we really don't get to choose where we are going to loose or gain fat.  Unfortunately, the face is the first to go!  Fillers are an excellent option.  I would start with a hyaluronic acid product with larger particles and higher G prime (your injector should know these well).  Avoid placing filler in the nasolabial folds in your face as that will contribute to the Chimpanzee look you mentioned.  

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Yes you could use Cheek Filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend Voluma to enhance your cheeks. It tends to lift the face below the injections and is said to last 2 years. Best Wishes, Maurice Vick MD

Cheek volume loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Its very difficult to evaluate the area of concern on these pics but over all the options are to add volume by fillers or decrease the space with treatment s like ultherapy which stimulates the collagen and actually gives you the tightening and lifting effect. this way the space is actually reduced so you don't need much fillers. Good luck. 

Ramandeep Sidhu, MD
Issaquah Vascular Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Volume loss and best Treatment with Thermage, Juvederm Voluma and Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would consider having Thermage to tighten the skin and rejuvenate your own natural collagen to start.   Thermage will help you produce your own collagen. In addition I would treat the volume loss with a combination of Sculptra and Voluma.  Please consult an expert in facial cosmetic injections for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Cheek Volume Loss and Nasolabial Folds

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Despite your youth, you have findings consistent with volume loss with mild nasolabial folds. This is a normal part of aging and multiple fillers could accomplish your goals. My preference would be to use Voluma to build a foundation at your cheeks and midface. After that, Juvederm could be added to the nasolabial folds if needed. There are other options that would work well, but the combo above would work particularly well.

Nirmal Nathan, MD
Plantation Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Cheek filler is a great option

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many options for treating lost cheek volume, but probably the safest and that which has the highest satisfaction rate would be the use of injectable fillers such as Sculptra, Juvederm Voluma or Radiesse. These can all work quite well to give significant improvement, and have minimal if any downtime and discomfort.

Kate Kleydman, DO
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Loss of volume in the cheek area

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to do a full assessment from photos.  Your pictures suggest some volume loss in the cheek area which is causing the lines/sag around your month. Dermal fillers would be an option to address these issues.  There are many different fillers that would be appropriate for this area.  I tend to use voluma in the cheek area to add volume and give lift to the area.  Your provider should be able to advise you as to the best way to proceed.

Jean M. Casello, MD
Northborough Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Fillers for cheek augmentation?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fillers would be a very good option for you. I would consider Voluma which is FDA approved for cheek augmentation. 

Filler options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to assess your face from these pictures.  I like to examine the face during animation, as well as in several positions (i.e. holding chin down towards neck).  From what I can see, it does look as though you have volume loss in your midface (cheek & cheekbone areas).  This is normal as we age.  The filler I prefer for this area is Voluma, which fills and lifts.  Voluma usually lasts about 15-18 months and looks and feels very natural.  I generally use a thin filler, such as Volbella, for the fine lines around the lips.

I recommend that you have a consultation with a physician who is experienced in aesthetic medicine and especially in the injection of fillers.  They can examine your face and explain what your best options are.

Best of luck to you.

Lisa Jenks, MD
Colorado Springs Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.