Bump on bottom lip after Restylane Silk: Swelling or excess filler? (photos)

I initially had Restalyne Silk filler in April. I had 1/4 of a syringe added on Thursday evening. It looked great. Today I notice a bump on the inside of my bottom lip when I smile. It looks like it is either lingering swelling or excess filler that has become uneven. Should I go back to my doctor?

Bump on lip after filler

I would give the filler more time to settle. I will typically ask my patients to wait about a week before deciding to do anything.  If it is still there are that point, it is more likely filler that was placed too superficially and could be treated with some hyaluronidase to smooth it out. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on bottom lip after Restylane Silk: Swelling or excess filler?

Give it a good week to 10 days to settle and then see your doctor.  If the fullness persists, it may be the filler and can easily be cleaned up with Vitrase. 

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Restylane Silk/Lip Augmentation/Lip Fillers/ Liquid Face Lift/Hyaluronic Acid

I appreciate your question. Restylane Silk can leave irregularities in the lips as swelling continues to resolve over the next days. Swelling can last up to 2 weeks in some patients injected with Restylane Silk.  If the irregularities are still present after two weeks, I recommend that you follow up with your Injecting MD so he/she can evaluate.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Restylane Silk Lip Injections

I advise a 7 day waiting period for swelling to near completely resolve following Resty Silk injections to the upper or lower lip. At that point, any contour discrepancy is generally product, rather than swelling. Product excess can be easily massaged to satisfactory form by your provider. I generally invite my lip injection patients to return at 1 week post-procedure if this is needed. Give it a few days and return for an assessment. Should be no problem. Best of luck.

Best to follow up

It could possibly be some lingering swelling but most likely it is just a small accumulation of the product in the area, if you follow up with your physician they should be able to gently squeeze it out or possibly shrink it if needed.

Janet Allenby, DO
Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Swelling/Bumps After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Restylane can leave "lumps" under the lips as swelling will continue to go down over the next few days. Optimal results will be seen at 10-14 days post-injection. If the lumps persist after two weeks I suggest consulting an expert and consider reversing with hyaluronidase. Best, Dr. Emer

Bump after Restylane Silk

It's too early to worry about this. Give it about 10 days after the procedure to get your final result. Silk tends to have some mild/moderate swelling in some cases. It can be dissolved if not happy down the road.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Filler issue

That might be filler, swelling, or a hematoma. Light massage may help if it is filler, but always best to review with your injector first.