Could I benefit from a Chin implant/jaw lengthening? (photos)

I want to know my profile can be enhanced with a Chin implant. I plan on getting a nose job in the future, but I'm not sure if my jaw / chin is satisfactory. A professional opinion would be very welcome.

Chin surgery

More chin projection would benefit the balance of your face. Chin implant surgery has long been touted as a simple operation that reliably gives good results. 

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Rhinoplasty and chin implant candidate

The photographs demonstrate an overly projecting nose with a  dorsal hump, and a weak recessive chin profile.  Performing a chin implant will help significantly with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projecting nose and dorsal hump.  Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which is usually best determined at the time of the consultation and examination.  Look for a surgeon with extensive experience in both procedures for best results.  Digital computer imaging would also be helpful to understand what can be accomplished with the procedures.  For many before and after results of chin implants and rhinoplasty combination, please see link and the video below

Could I benefit from a Chin implant/jaw lengthening?

Hi, based upon the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly, the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be v ery safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.
  • Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face as described above.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.

Chin Implant and Rhinoplasty

Hi and thanks for your question and photos.  Yes, you would benefit from a chin implant and rhinoplasty.  If the hump was removed from your nose and your chin was properly projected, your profile would be balanced and would be far more attractive.  I would be happy to see you for a consultation so that I could show you with computer imaging the changes that could be made.  

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin and jaw

It appears that just the chin is undersized and a good implant will restore a full  mascline profile.If you have dental issues that need surgery, see a dental surgeon. But my eye only sees a significant problem with your chin size.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon