Should I take Accutane to treat my acne?

I use to have great skin.I went on birth control for my periods when I was 16 (combo pill) then at 17 I was switched to the mini pill because I get migraines. My skin then started to get really bad so after a year of that I stopped taking it, thinking my skin would get better, this was not the case and I've been off of birth control for 1 year! I've tried antibiotics and topical treatment but I will have little bumps everywhere. I'm worried about the side effects and how ethical accutane is.

Acne treatments

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with acne. Acne treatment depends on the type of acne and your skin type. Treatment options include oral antibiotics, topical medications, Accutane, chemical peels, facials, laser treatments, etc. In my experience, a combination of oral antibiotics and topical medications are effective in treating acne. However, if acne is severe or resistant to treatment, then Accutane therapy should be considered. There are multiple side effects with Accutane, but a number of measures are in place to monitor the safety of patients while on Accutane. I've had multiple patients respond well to either combination therapy or Accutane. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your skin evaluated and to discuss treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.