2 weeks post op pain and burning on insides of arms and armpits - inframammary incision.

I had breast augmentation surgery on 8/4. All is well except that I still have a lot of pain and an almost burning sensation in my armpits and along the inside of my arms. My incisions are inframammaty. I have brought this up at my follow up appt & was told it was most likely from the straps used to hold my arms down during the procedure. There is no bruising evident. It's to the point where OTC meds aren't helping much. Could this be nerve related? What are your thoughts?

Burning sensation after BA

Thank you for your question.It is important for you to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have seeing as they know your medical history, anatomy and surgery best. If your doctor didnt seem concerned at your follow up appointment then i would try not to worry about it and continue with your OTC medication. You are still quite early on in your recovery and you may experience different sensations throughout your recovery period such as burning and tingling. Keep an eye out for symptoms such as fever or the skin is red and/or hot to touch as this can be sign of infection and you should contact your surgeon immediately.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Doubt nerve related...most often it is from the procedure, but could be

from the securing straps at the procedure as well.  If your arms are numb, this would be more transient sensory nerve condition.  Presuming your arms move, these nerves work as well.  So give your body a chance to heal and recover and if still present 6 weeks after discuss this at that time. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon