Will one syringe of restylane or juvederm be enough to correct my tear troughs? (photos)

I've had these dark circles under my eyes for about as long as I can remember and now that I've done some research I see that it's not just as cut and dry as "just dark circles" my tear troughs are what makes it look so bad and I want to remedy the situation to move on with my life now the question is do I need one syringe or two of restylane? And which dermal filler would you recommend? I'm leaning more towards restylane but some doctors I've talked to prefer juvederm or juvederm voluma.

Dark Circles Under the Eyes

Thank you for your question and photos. One syringe of Restylane should be adequate. It is best to be conservative in this sensitive area and avoid over correction. Additional filler can always be added if needed Restylane Silk is an excellent choice to treat this area. From the photos it does appear that you have a tear trough as well as some dark pigmentation of the lower eyelids known as Melasma. Filler in this area will improve the shadowing by softening the the depth of the tear trough. The hyper pigmentation will not resolve from this but the entire area will look improved and restedBest of LuckDrG

Restylane is the best choice for your tear trough hollows

Thank you for posting your question and photos. Restylane is currently the best product for treatment of darkness caused by tear trough hollows/shadows. It lasts at least 6 months (much longer than Belotero) and is less likely to cause swelling and Tyndall Effect (blue discoloration) than Juvederm. One syringe should be sufficient for your treatment. See an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive examination and treatment guidance.  Good luck,

Will one syringe of restylane or juvederm be enough to correct my tear troughs?

Restylane® and Belotero® are considered the current gold standard fillers for the tear troughs. For a more specific evaluation which requires a physical examination of the eye area, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Filler in Tear Troughs

Between Juvederm and Restylane, please go with Restylane. Juvederm is not generally the best choice for under eye troughs. I would suggest starting with just 1 syringe of whatever you decide to go with. Both of these fillers have a chance of swelling, so give it a couple weeks to see the final result. Then you can always add to it if you think that you need some more to achieve further correction. Filler is not going to do anything but possibly draw more attention to the dark circles, so please do not expect it to fix that.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough and filler

One syringe is plenty as an expert will use less than a syringe for the correction. Restylane is a good choice but I  think Belotero is better. Voluma should not be used here. Be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Tear trough filler

I personally inject one syringe at a time in the tear troughs.  i find that there is less collection of fluid and subsequent swelling afterwards.  you can always add more product afterwards! not to mention that your injector should be able to tell you whether you will need one or two after examining your face in person - assessing the position of your midface, nasomalar ligament, etc.  
i like using restylane diluted a little bit with 1% lidocaine.  it softens the filler while maintaining its integrity.  it does not have the same hydrophilic qualities of rest. silk or juvederm by doing it this way.  this is what works for me though.   voluma is great for your cheeks and midface, but absolutely not in your tear troughs.  
best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

I think you will be disappointed with fillers there. You have dark circles in the skin and fillers will not help that.
Fillers help hollows and you have very few hollows.  If you must do it do restylane which works better than juvederm in this location. Belotero is very thin and goes away quickly.
Fillers may make your dark circles look worse.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon