Is it possible my muscle repair was not successful? (photos)

I am very fit/athletic and had an umbilical float TT w/ MR 5 weeks ago. After surgery, my PS asked if my muscles felt tight--they didnt feel any different, really. I expected to feel like i had a corset on (or something to that effect). My belly still bulges out as if i am pregnant. Especially when i bend over. I had a visible 6 pack prior to surgery so i know my abs arent weak. Could it be all swelling? I was hoping i wouldnt have to suck my stomach in anymore all the time post surgery.

Too early to judge outcome

Im not sure what the reason for the umbilical float was.  Perhaps too little skin was removed.  The muscles don't appear to be tight either.  It is early though.

Full tummy tuck

It doesn't sound like you had a full tummy tuck if your surgeon "floated' you umbilicus.  It looks like you need a full tummy tuck in the photos.

Muscle Repair Not Successful?

I recommend visiting your surgeon again for an exam.  They will be able to determine if this is from a fluid build-up (seroma) and also assess the muscle repair.  Yes, it is possible for a muscle repair to fail (rare, but can happen).

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Post op appearance

The best results from an umbilical float happen when there is not really very much loose skin above the belly button. It is still early after your surgery so hang in there. The one photo that looks to be post op from the front, where there is a large amount of swelling is a little concerning for a large seroma. Check in with your surgeon.