Infection after breast augmentation (3 months post-op). Will my implant have to be taken out? (photo)

BA 8/4 Under. 10/15 I woke up w/ pain in my R breast. Same on Sun, mon became super swollen. I saw my dr the next day. Prescribed Valium tramadol steroids The next app was the same. was given antibiotics and fexerol & he told me to wear the band so I did. On Sun there was a hole on my incision line blood & puss came out. Today My dr packed it with a dressing and told me to do the same 3x a day for the next week. It's still high and tight. Am I going to have to have my implant taken out?

Infection after Breast Augmentation.

The implant does not appear to be a infected. It looks like a suture spitting. Have your surgeon examine the wound to rule out any implant exposure.

Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon

3 months post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

I recommend you to maintain the wound dry and clean and to follow your surgeon advices.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Hopefully just a skin infection

It looks from the photos, that you "spit" a suture.  That should not affect the implant.  However, if there is a true infection, and the implant becomes exposed to the bacteria, it is extremely difficult to clear that infection without removing the implant.  Make sure you see your doctor regularly.

Best of luck to you!

Nicholas Husni, MD, PhD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Infection?

It is hard to say what will happen without being able to examine you in person.  If the implants is exposed, it is likely that it will require removal.

Will my implant have to be taken out?

Thank you for your question and photos!  From your picture it appears to be a limited superficial infection possibly from a suture and not involving your implant.  I would continue to follow your surgeon's recommendations and have close follow up!  Good luck and all the best!

Dr. Tag

Infection with breast augmentation

Its always worrisome when there are healing issues with breast augmentation. Infection is very difficult to deal with and almost impossible to clear up if the implant is infected. Most times the implant needs to be removed. Having said that, I see no evidence from the pictures this involves the implant space and it may just be a superficial wound issue. If that's the case, it should heal up with the local care you have explained. 

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

It is possible that you will lose the implant. However, it is also possible that this is just a spitting suture. Keep working with your doctor. If you smoke, stop. Sometimes it helps to look at your diet to be sure you are getting enough of the building blocks needed for healing. I don't see anything that says, "wow, that implant needs to come out this instant" but I am only looking at pictures on the internet. I think you have a fairly good chance of keeping the implant, again, based only on internet pictures. Stick with your surgeon.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Wound issue months post

You appear to have developed a suture granuloma where a stitch works its way out.  You get a little blood and pus.  Once the suture material is removed, this will heal up. If you had a lot of pus running out,  you may have developed an abscess.  From you photos, you don to appear to have an infection involving the implant, but you would need to see your surgeon to make sure.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Infection after breast augmentation (3 months post-op). Will my implant have to be taken out?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  Based on your supplied pictures I see your areas of concern and would maintain close follow up with your surgeon.  Your incision line photograph appears to show a superficial separation of your incision line, without implant exposure, which may yet heal with the daily dressing changes recommended.  That said your photograph of the swelling that has occurred is concerned for another process taking place - an infection or seroma formation.   Certainly continue on antibiotics, but your surgeon may want to consider an ultrasound to assess your right breast implant pocket.  Hope this helps.

Follow your surgeon's advice

At this stage, you are being maximized on medical management of your breast. I am concerned that this may be more than a localized infection.  Certain types of breast implants may be more prone to seroma (fluid) collection and must be evaluated.

Follow up with your surgeon closely.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS