I want breast reduction. I was reading someone comments about don't let you breast get wet because you could get infections?

What is the best way to prevent infection after breast reductions

Breast reduction and infection

The risk of a full blown infection is pretty uncommon after a breast reduction. For my patients, I usually allow them to shower once the drains are removed.  Other surgeons may have different recommendations.

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question. Getting your breasts wet as in a shower with soap and water will not increase your risk of infection. In fact, good hygiene after surgery helps decrease the risk of infection. The rate of infection for breast reduction is pretty low and is related to factors such as obesity and smoking. Good luck,

J. Michael Morrissey, MD

The risk of infection in healthy patients with good hygiene is minimal. You will need to carefully follow your surgeon's advice for postop care to keep that risk small.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast reduction

The infection right with this operation tends to be very low to begin with. There are several factors that could potentially increase it such as obesity, Long surgery time, size of the reduction. For decades I have allowed my patients to shower the following day and I don't consider that one of the increase risk factors. Hope this is of some help. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and showering

With most plastic surgery procedures including breast reductions, showering is safe within 24 hours after the procedure depending on the type of sutures that are used. With inside self dissolving sutures, the wounds are sealed and it is safe to shower, just be gentle. Each surgeon has their own preferences, so I would discuss things with the surgeon you pick.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and risk of infection

Most patients can shower the day after their surgery.  However, they should never submerge their incision in water (bathtub, public pool, sauna, etc.) for 2-3 weeks to minimize risk of infection and other complications. 

There are many ways to avoid or at least minimize risk of infection; however, the most helpful is achieving your optimal health prior to surgery.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Tarick K. Smiley, MD