I would like abdominoplasty after a Hernia Repair with Mesh, is this safe? (photos)

I am post umbilical hernia repair with mesh about 5 years ago...Is it safe to get abdominoplasty or is smart lipo to the stomach a better option?

Tummy Tuck or not

Based on your photos you are a great candidate for an Extended Tummy Tuck in order to get rid of the saggy skin on abdomen and lateral skin and The Muscle Repair will be key to achieve a great result because your abdomen is very protruding because of loose muscle and that is also creating the NO-waist look. 

The mesh most likely will remain hidden under the muscle repair but what concerns me is the Herniaplasty itself, because the majority of the techniques de-attached the belly button and it there is a high risk of belly button necrosis if we perform a conventional TT. 

So in your case I would plan since the very beginning the creation of a new belly button. 

I would also recommend to do some liposuction to your back and waist. 

It will help a lot if you lose some weight before surgery. 

Be encouraged 

Dr. Cardenas 

Tummy tuck following hernia repair with mesh

Yes, it can be done. There is an increased risk of issues with the belly button so it's very important for you to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with a lot of experience doing tummy tucks.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

There is always going to be a small risk of umbilicus healing issues after a hernia repair and then a tummy tuck. Best of luck.

I would like abdominoplasty after a Hernia Repair with Mesh, is this safe?

In most cases, a skilled plastic surgeon will be able to do liposuction or a tummy tuck after a mesh hernia repair. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Yes, it is safe

You can have this done safely. Your may need to consider circumferential surgery if you want to narrow your waist. I would try to be close to your desired weight before surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for consultation. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Hernia repair, abdominoplasty, tummytuck

Hello
Yes it is very safe, in fact it is a fairly frequent combination. The patient must be in good condition, qualify for this combination. Always look for a board certified plastic surgeon.

Regards

Mármol Shailyn MD

Shailyn Marmol, MD

Safe tummy tuck?

Tummy tuck surgery is safe in healthy patients. The hernia repair with mesh will not change the steps of the surgery, but may increase the risks of seroma formation. This depends on the size of the hernia mesh used. Consult with a highly qualified board certified plastic surgeon. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Thank you for your question and photos. I do think you are a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery (possibly extended tummy tuck that would address the back area as well).

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she is a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Before/after photographs are helpful in this regard. You may also be able to meet/see/talk to previous patients who have had surgery with your plastic surgeon. Then, communicate your concerns/personal goals carefully as well. 

You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more.