I'm 5 days post Gynecomastia and I have a crater. Will it improve? (Photo)

Hello, I had surgery 6 days ago. My left side is really swollen but my right side isn't bad at all and I flexed my pectoral in the mirror and the inside muscle is higher, which is having a shadow/deformity effect. It's not terrible and I'm only 6 days post Op but I'm concerned this won't improve. I had a little bit of gland removed but not much. Doctor said I had a lot of fibrofatty type breast tissue and used ultrasonic lipo. 250cc removed a side.

5 days Post Gynecomastia Surgery Crater Concern

Your #incisions will go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with cosmetic filler(s) if eligible. 

Early Post Operative Healing

Hi MichaelM87,

Thanks for the post and pics. You are very very early in the healing process and will see changes over the next few months. The concavity you see now may be due to uneven swelling that is occurring around the area. This will need time to settle. Final results are typically measured in months not days or weeks. I recommend you follow up closely with your plastic surgeon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

5 Days Post Op

You are in the early healing stage.  Swelling is expected.  Wear your compression garment as your surgeon instructs.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Swelling after gynecomastia treatemnt

Thank you for your question and photos. After only 6 days post-op you have about the amount of swelling that can be considered normal. It will take a few months before you see your final results. It is possible for you to have this depressed area now and not see it once all of the swelling is gone. I recommend close follow-up with your Plastic Surgeon until you are happy with your final results. Best wishes

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I'm 5 days post Gynecomastia and I have a crater. Will it improve?

At six days post op, it is too early to determine if the shadow/deformity will persist or is simply the result of swelling following your procedure.   Generally speaking, it may take several months before all of the swelling has completely resolved. 

R. Stewart Collins, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon