after removal of silicone implants 20 years ago, can you get another breast augmentation?

I originally had 90cc of silicone breast implant. I had them removed in 1999. (found no leakage). I was left with sagging breasts. It been over 20 years. Will there be all scar tissue and such that I would not be able now 20 years later to get something in there that would help my self esteem. Money has been the issue all these years and now not as much

After removal of silicone implants 20 years ago, can you get another breast augmentation?

Based on your description I do not see why you cannot under go breast augmentation. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon

Regards, 

After a few years, it is like starting at the start!

hello! There are a couple things to say here-- you had very small implants the first time, so likely did not get too much stretch. And now that it has been so long, it will be like starting from scratch really. Sometimes when I have done cases like yours, there is a slight scar tissue plane on the inside from the previous surgery, but this does not impact the current surgery. I think you should go for it. The implants now are better than ever-- and there are many style and sizes to consider! Enjoy!
Good luck!

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug after removal

Thank your for your question. It is absolutely possible to get a breast augmentation after removal of implants 20 years ago.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

It sometimes is a challenge, but certainly possible

Your original implants were likely placed over the muscle.  I would strongly suggest that new implants be placed under the muscle and you might need a lift as well. See a few ASAPS member surgeons in your area and get an in-person consultation.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

After this much time, you shoudl be able to have implants placed again without any additional problems. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Can I have a second augmentation 20 years later?

Thank you for your question. You can certainly undergo a second breast augmentation 20 years after having your implants removed. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic breast surgery for an in-person examination. You may need a lift as well. Hope this helps and good luck.

Breast augmentation

Yes, you should be able to undergo a revision breast augmentation. You might need a lift as well. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Thank you for your excellent question.  Though nothing replaces an in-person evaluation, there should not be any reason that you can not pursue a second breast augmentation.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and discussion of your desired results. 

Choose the right surgeon to get the best outcome

You absolutely can have a breast augmentation, although the procedure would be more of a revision to address the scar tissue.  Choose the right surgeon and you will have an excellent result.

Repeat augmentation

There should be no reason that a prior augmentation would preclude you from another procedure. By all means, if you feel that it would improve your self-esteem, then proceed with your board certified plastic surgeon.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon