How long should I wait for a second surgery for breast aug?

I had my 1st surgery done in February 550ccs on my left and 520ccs on my right. I feel like they are not the size I wanted and would like to go bigger. My friend got her breast aug a year ago and she got 450ccs with the same Dr. And her breast seem to be bigger than mine. Should I allow some time? Will my implants drop more? I am just some what unhappy with the results at the moment.

Time Between Breast Surgeries

It is usually suggested to wait approximately 6 to 12 months between surgeries. Of course this is contingent on the reason for a #breast #implant #revision. Typically, #drooping or size difference will not improve with time and require a revision surgery.

Selecting a breast implant size for breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, as a rule of thumb you will not be able to see a difference in breast implant appearance unless you go up or down at least 75-150 cc. The height, weight, frame and current implants and desires are what really pushes the meter.

So a small framed women with 300cc ranged devices should be able to see a change with 75 cc. This would be the case if she wanted to fill out the bras better and not necessarily go to the next bra size. If she wanted to go up a size and fill it out, it may be 150+ cc to achieve that.

A larger women with the same sized implants would probably not even notice the 75 cc bump. So their scale would shift and she may need 125 cc to notice some difference and even more to go up and fill the next bra size.

So it is not a cut and dry situation. You would be best served going to see a plastic surgeon personally to get the best advice after examination and discussions about what your goals are.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

When can I increase the size of my breast implants?

You can increase the size of your breast implants at any time. You will need to have the pocket made larger. Unfortunately, the size tends to decrease with time over first year esp if under the muscle. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Wanting bigger

is not always better but without knowing how tall you are and how wide your chest is, its hard to comment on whether you should go larger.  You should try to identify what specifically you don't like about your results and talk to your surgeon as to what can be done to help you achieve your desired goals.  Comparing friends results is like comparing apples and peaches... everyone is different with what they start out with.  Think of what you need to make yourself happier and go for it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Implant exchange

550 cc mplants are pretty large and I would advise you against going any larger.  It's hard to compare yourself to your friend, who may have a different build and may have had larger breasts to begin with..

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast augmentation revision

I appreciate your question.
A pic would be helpful. Typically 6-9 months is a good time to wait to see final position and shape. 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Secondary breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  At seven months post op, you are fine to proceed with a secondary breast augmentation at this point in time.  I usually advise patients to wait until they are at least four months post op.
It is highly unlikely that your implants will drop more at this point in time.  

If you are only somewhat unhappy, I would encourage you to give it some more time.  I do not think your breasts will change but you may find you are not as unhappy as you may think.

Revision surgery

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your results.  If your surgery was in February of this year I think you have given it enough time to know if the size is right for you.  You can not compare your implant size with your friends because your friend might have had more breast tissue (and different measurements) to begin with.  At this time if you are unhappy you should communicate that to your Plastic Surgeon.  If he/she does not wish to perform a revision then I would seek other opinions from Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who perform a lot of revision breast surgery.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Breast surgery

Not all patients are alike and not all breasts are alike.  It is very possible that your friend had more breast tissue to start and therefore less volume gave her larger breasts.  I normally like to wait at least 3-6 months prior to revising a breast.  Good Luck

Without preop and postop photos there is no way to comment on your situation. But one specific size of implant can look different in each patient so just because your friend had a certain look with a certain implant is meaningless. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD