How long does a tummy tuck take to heal? And can I take the fat from my stomach and put it in my butt?

Tummy tucks take months to 'heal'

and fat from the tummy can be grafted to the buttock but the problem here is that your tummy tuck will require you to lay on your back, on your grafts, and this will diminish the amount of fat that survives.  I do this procedure often, as I only charge for the fat processing kit (I use Pure Graft) and my patients pay for the additional OR time and anesthesia as this is done as a courtesy without any warranty nor does it quality under my revision policy.  It does help bolster the buttock but you cannot expect the extreme butts you see on TV.

Tummy tuck and fat transfer

Hello and thank you for your question. A tummy tuck generally takes 2-4 weeks to heal, but generally patients can start very light activity in a couple of days. Of course it depends on the patient. Yes, it is a common procedure to transfer fat from stomach area onto your buttocks. Please consult with an experienced board-certified surgeon who can examine you and offer you the best procedure that you desire. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

How long does it take a tummy tuck to heal?

I allow my patients to go back to light activity within days, like driving car, and all activity usually about three weeks. Yes, fat can be removed from your tummy and transferred to your buttock at the same time. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Procedures

Hello, thanks for your inquiry. These two procedures, tummy tuck and Brazilian Butt lift (where your own fat is injected into your buttocks) are combined on a regular basis. It would give you a more beautiful and satisfying result. The recovery process is different in each individual, but normally it takes two weeks to feel like your self again and two more to resume moderate physical activities. If you decide to undergo a BBL you should not be able to sit down on your buttocks for a month, and you might use the doughnut pillow for that matter if you have the need to sit down or lay down on your back. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck, Fat Transfer, Butt Lift, Mommy Makeover

You will get the best answer to your question by scheduling an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and discussing your unique situation and concerns. The surgeon would meet with you, examine you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure in person and what you can realistically expect. Then you can make an informed decision on which procedure(s) to start with according to your desires, recovery time necessary, your history and current health. Usually these procedures can be combined but each person is individual. One of the most important factors is not only your health going into the procedure(s) but the support system you have available for your recovery time and the amount of time you can seriously devote to recovery. If you have three active children and only a few days where you can rely on assistance driving, taking care of housework and children and daily activities then staging the procedures may be your best option. If you have help for a good two weeks where you can really focus on you and your recovery and someone else is going to take care of the daily routine and responsibilities than it is not uncommon to do combined procedures for one surgery, one recovery. Patients that have the needed recovery time scheduled in advance usually recover faster as they don't have the added stress of knowing they are needed 4 days after a tummy tuck to be back to their normal routine. Take all of this into consideration with your surgeon when making this decision and get realistic answers to your concerns in advance will make the whole process easier. Discuss your needs, wishes, recovery time constraints, and budget limits with an honest and experienced surgeon, and receive bias-free personal advice. ALWAYS consult a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of plastic surgery, to ensure the highest standards of ethical practice and safe surgery. Mark Schoemann, MD FACS American Board of Plastic Surgery American Society of Plastic Surgeons American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery * The above commentary is not personal medical advice, and is intended for general education on the internet.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Combining a tummy tuck procedure with a Brazilian butt lift is something we often do in our practice to produce beautiful overall results in our patients.  With regards to healing after either or both procedures, as every person has their own unique recovery experience, one cannot say for certainty the type of experience you will have post operatively.  Typically, however, many patients find that around three months after a tummy tuck they are able to resume all activities.  The most important thing is to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so that you may be fully evaluated, have the abiity to discuss your surgical options, address your goals and work together to create the surgical plan that helps you best achieve your overall goals.  At that time you would also be able to discuss post operative care, as each surgeon often has their own set of unique post operative instructions.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

TT and BBL

Combining TT and BBL is an ideal combination since it allows your surgeon to place fat from your belly to your buttocks in addition to fat transfer from other areas. Make sure you ask for a)low incision line tummy tuck b)an aesthetically pleasing/non operated looking belly button. Please see patient below for an example.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. It is a very stereo type procedure to do a TT and then graft fat from the abdomen to create a BBL. Best of luck  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy Tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift

It is quite common to have both a tummy tuck and a brazilian butt lift in the same operative session. In fact, it is one of the most common combinations I routinely perform. One factor which allows me to do multiple procedures in the same operative session safely is that I use IV anesthesia instead of general anesthesia. So be sure to discuss all of the specifics with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Both procedures have a similar recovery period, so you can expect to refrain from driving for about 3 weeks, but should be able to resume your normal activities 6 weeks post-op.
The web reference below provides a detailed look at what tummy tuck recovery is like for most patients.
Best wishes!

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

TT & BBL

Thank you for your question.A tummy tuck generally takes around 4-6 months for a tummy tuck to fully heal then even longer for the scar to soften in appearance. I generally stage these procedures simply because you will have to refrain from sitting on your buttocks for at least 2 weeks after a BBL which means you would need to sleep on your stomach, which may not be optimal when just having a tummy tuck. This reduces complications and provides for a more comfortable post-operative recovery.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon