Breast different sizes and fullness after breast implants and lift. Will I need a revision? (Photo)

On July 15 2016 I had my 2nd breast anchor breast lift with hp silicon 650cc implants. My right breast used to be my smaller one and my left Brest the larger one and now 2 weeks post opp my right breast is a lot fuller and higher. Day of surgery they were symmetrical. Ally I like the larger right breast a lot better but I am very stressed about the size difference. Will I need a revision? My dr whom is amazing is on vacation and that why I am asking on here. Please help!

Post-Op Healing Concern for Swelling

Breast Appearance – The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result. Massage – Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the postoperative period. Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.Also, there are some other points in post-op healing that you can watch out for during the first couple of months after surgery and make sure that you take any questions to your surgeon if anything is unclear.HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps. ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff. SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

Post op augmentation mastopexy

it is just too soon to judge your post op results from this type of surgery. It will take at least 8-12 months for the breasts to completely settle. Be patient!

Susan Kaweski, MD

Breast Asymmetry

Thank you for your question.  At just two weeks post op it is too soon to tell what your final result will be.  It generally takes several months before you can get a good idea of what your end result will be at least 3 to 6 months.  Your breasts will heal at different rates which is perfectly normal.  You were not symmetric to begin with, most people are not this too is normal.  You look very good at this point, try to be patient and make sure to follow up with your Dr when he returns from his vacation.
Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Asymmetry 2 weeks post op

Sorry you just have to wait for the final result. My best guess is that the big side will go down as well :( 

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

I certainly see the asymmetry you refer to.  However, it is very early after surgery.  The left side implant will drop over the next few months to give you better symmetry.  It is too soon to plan for a revision.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast different sizes and fullness after breast implants and lift. Will I need a revision?

Thank you for your question. I am not sure if the last picture you showed is prior to any of your surgeries or if it is just before the most recent surgery. It is good you love your surgeon because they did an excellent job. I could have predicted that you would not be symmetric looking at your pre operative photo because you have two totally different breast shapes in that picture. Your right breast is more ptotic or sagging in the before picture and your left breast seems to have a tighter skin envelope. For what it is worth in the picture you show from today you look amazing. Yes you have some difference in size and shape a little but NOBODY is perfectly symmetric. This is all about managing your expectations. Sometimes we lose before we ever operate on a patient because we fail to point out the asymmetry and we fail to manage your expectations. If what you want or are envisioning in your mind and what are possible are different and the surgeon did not prepare you for that you will nit pick every single asymmetry and expect things to be perfect on both sides. You look awesome and as a surgeon I would probably tell you I can do no better. Your outcome matches what I see in the before picture. The left breast sits lower and the right one is more full and higher. Going bigger on the left might give more upper pole volume but then the breast may become bigger than the right. It's a risk. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Different sizes/fullness after breast lift and augmentation

Hi Paddy9238,Thank you for your photos and questions and congrats on a fantastic improvement.  You look great! Right now is much to early to determine what your final result will be, but overall you have really good shape and reasonable size-match and symmetry and a great improvement from before your surgery.  Breasts implants can settle in at different rates and your result will not be final until 4-6 months after your surgery. Right now there is absolutely nothing to worry about.  Follow up as scheduled with your surgeon and rest, relax and recover.  Best wishes!

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation and Lift.

Hello, and thanks for the question and the photos. At this point, I would say - don't worry. You look good and the differences you see are all within the normal range at this point. The first picture (with your face included) shows the right implant slightly higher than the left. The second picture (where you note "today notice size difference), seems to show that the right implant has settled more into the pocket. The second picture (to me) seems to have better symmetry than the first, but without an examination it is difficult to make an exact determination. The important thing is that your overall shape is good and will continue to improve as swelling decreases and the implants settle and the surrounding tissues soften over time (usually 2-3 months). Differences that you see now will become less distinct as this process moves forward. See your surgeon when he returns, but don't worry in the meantime and make sure you are using a good support bra through these early stages.I hope this helps!

Asymmetry

I do see from your photographs the slight asymmetry of left versus right. With symmetry to begin with, and the same size implants, the only variable is swelling and fluid. At this point, so early after surgery I would not concern myself with worrying about symmetry. It may take several months for the symmetry to return. The implant on the left may also be dropping slower than that of the right. We see this all the time. Follow up with your operating plastic surgeon when he or she returns. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS