Is this ptosis (photo)

For last 2 weeks I have noticed my left eye is drooping. I have worn contact for 15 years. Am I having ptosis?

This is upper eyelid ptosis.

Contact wearers are more prone to ptosis but this may or may not be related to your contact lens wear.  A consultation with a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon is needed to determine if ptosis also affects the right upper eyelid as well. There is also lash ptosis present.  This is consistent with a levator dehiscence.  Because you have a small double fold on the right side, it is essential that the upper eyelid fold on the left also get corrected to make it more likely that surgery reestablishes eyelid symmetry.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on its website that will help you find a well qualified surgeon close to home. 

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is upper eyelid ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis?

Thank you for your photo. This indeed looks like ptosis on your left upper eyelid. The good news is that it is a fairly easy fix and can be scarless with minimal downtime. See a board certified surgeon with extensive eyelid experience for an in person consultation. 

Ptosis?

Eyelid ptosis

Yes, it does appear that your left upper eyelid is ptotic.  One can see that the lid lash margin of your left upper lid is lower on the pupil than your right upper eyelid.

Eyelid ptosis

Eye Concerns

It appears from your photo that your left eyelid is drooping (this condition in one eye is called ptotic).

Fred Suess, MD (retired)

Eye Concerns

Fred Suess, MD (retired)

Ptosis It Is!

You are correct! This is true ptosis. It is not going to be helped by removal of skin, but instead requires that one address the levator muscle of the upper lid that is responsible for holding the lid in the proper position. I would see a qualified surgeon to handle this issue.

George Sanders, MD

Ptosis It Is!

George Sanders, MD

Ptosis

Yes this does look like ptosis of your left eye and a board certified Plastic Surgeon or Occuloplastic surgeon trained in ptosis surgery should be who takes care of you.

Ptosis

It looks like Ptosis!

It does appear that you are experiencing ptosis of your left upper eyelid. Ptosis literally simply means "droop", so in this particular case we are talking about eyelid droop. Eyelid ptosis is when the muscles in the upper eyelid don't open all the way. This is most efficiently addressed by an occuloplastic surgeon, who specializes in eyes. There is an incredible occuloplastic surgeon in St. Louis by the name of Dr. John Holds, who we work very closely with. If you are willing to make the trip, I'm sure he would take very good care of you!

It looks like Ptosis!

Is this ptosis ?

Dear Reader,
Your left eye does show ptosis.  You could consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon for an evaluation and to give you options for the best cosmetic result.

Best of Luck!

Is this ptosis ?

Dear Reader,

Best of Luck!

Left eyelid ptosis

You are demonstrating left upper eyelid ptosis which can be corrected by a levatorplasty in most patients. An examination is necessary.

Left eyelid ptosis

Upper eyelid ptosis after years of contact lens use.

Upper eyelid ptosis is quite common after years of contact lens use. It can happen to one side or both.

Ptosis may be caused by other reasons, so I do recommend consulting with an oculoplastic surgeon, who can both get you a specific diagnosis and safely treat you.