Fat Grafting. What is the down time?

Hello, I'm considering fat grafting for my chin. I would like to know what is the down time? The swelling & bruising, is it as severe as the fat transfer to the face? Will I be able to return to normal activities & work in 1 week with some makeup to cover the bruise? Thank you.

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

Swelling due to fat transfer can take a few weeks to resolve. I love results of fat grafting when its done well.  I suggest soemone who uses water assisted harvesting without centrifugation and with adding PRP. I suggest consulting with a facial sculpting expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Fat Grafting. What is the down time?

There is usually very little if any bruising following fat transfer. When evaluating swelling you must remember that the goal of the procedure is to make the treated area larger. 80% of swelling will be gone in about 1 week. The last bit of swelling and the absolute final result will be in about 3 months. Properly performed fat transfer is a great option with much less discomfort and risk of complications than an implant. Often the results are more natural appearing.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downtime after fat grafting

Hello cathylee908, thank you for your question.  In my experience, the downtime for fat grafting to the face can be anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.  Everyone heals differently and at a different rate.  Usually bruising on the face is not an issue but bruising on the fat harvest sites is common.  Swelling is also expected after fat grafting.  If you are just doing fat transfer to the chin, the downtime should be relatively short compared to fat transfer to the entire face.  You should be able to return to work within 1 week.  Hope that helps!
Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

Chin Fat Grafting Recovery

Fat grafting is a great non-surgical alternative for chin augmentation. The average recovery time for a fat graft to the chin is about two weeks. Most patients can return to work after 3-4 days. You can expect to have mild swelling and bruising for about 5 days after the treatment. This is completely normal and will go away in a few days. To speed up your recovery time, speak to your surgeon about any tips they may have.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon