Will the results be good if I remove the gland and leave fat for gynecomastia surgery?

Hello,I have a gynecomastia composed of both glands and fat, when i went to see a surgeon he told me that it's better for me as an asmathic to only remove gland and then see after some time if i need to remove the fat,he says that for some persons removing only the gland could be enough

Which Gynecomastia Surgical Technique is Best For You

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. 

The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. Your plastic surgeon may recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and which techniques are are best for your type of gynecomastia.

Asthma and surgery

If your asthma is optimally controlled the risk is very small and you can undergo major surgery without significant asthma complications. Most anesthesiologists I have worked with will recommend that you take your asthma medicine the prior to surgery with a sip of water and bring your inhalers to the surgery center. In addition, steroids are given just prior to anesthesia in most patients any way which helps prevent asthmatic complications.
On the other hand, if your asthma is poorly controlled, or you are steroid-dependent, you are at increased risk and therefore it is recommended that your asthma specialist provide any needed specific medical preparation prior to surgery including a written plan to give to your surgeon and anesthesiologist regarding asthma medication recommendations pre- and post-surgery. This will include a complete pre-surgical evaluation including pulmonary function test results, physical examination, and review of your medications and past medical problems. If your pulmonary function tests are not optimal your asthma doctor and/or anesthesiologist may choose to postpone surgery until your asthma is under optimal control prior to giving surgical clearance. In addition, it is advisable that you contact that anesthesiologist beforehand to discuss any issues that might arise and their management. . This is because surgery may cause an asthma flare or related bronchospasm during or immediately after surgery. Make sure you tell the anesthesiologist and your surgeon the amount and type of steroids you take so additional steroids can be given to prevent adrenal insufficiency which can result in a sudden blood pressure drop.

#asthma
#breastimplantswithasthma

Fat and breast tissue

I suggest you get a second opinion. I would say generally speaking, fat and breast tissue should be removed for the optimal esthetic result.

Will the results be good if I remove the gland and leave fat for gynecomastia surgery

No,
you might end up with a shallow pit which might become  hard to correct
Asthma is no reason for you to not undergo a full correction
see a qualified plastic surgeon

Only gland removal

you should have both the fat and the gland removed for the best result.  I will perform both in our office, usually for just the cost of insurance. 

David S. Rosenberg, MD

Correction of Man Boobs/Gynecomastia in an Asthmatic

Your suffering from asthma has nothing to do with HOW Gynecomastia surgery should be performed BUT with how the anesthesia is to be done. In safe hands you should probably have a Medical/Pulmonary clearance and the anesthesiologist would decide which medicines are to be used to keep you from suffering an attack during the surgery.
Since the breast is made up of both excess gland and fat both sould probably be removed to give you a better result.

Good Luck.

Peter Aldea MD
Memphis, TN

Gynecomastia Alger OH

If you have a surgeon with much experience with gynecomastia he should advise you.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gland and fat removal

Thank you for your question. Gynecomastia almost always consists of both excess glandular tissue and fat. The best treatment is usually removal of both. As long as you procedure is being performed in an accredited ambulatory surgery facility with an anesthesiologist present, your asthma should not be a factor in determining which technique is best. I would recommend discussing this again with your surgeon before proceeding. Best of luck.  

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Removal of the glandular and fatty components of the breast are essential for the optimal result.Regarding your asthma that is not an technical surgical issue but a medical management issue that should not dictate the type of surgery you have.You should get preoperative clearance from the individual who manages your asthma if it is significant.Your surgeon should help with the preoperative management coordination and optimization. Many  agents used   during the surgery are bronchodilators and help breathing in patients including asthmatics. 

Gynecomastia

It is almost always a little bit of both that's involved. Pictures would be helpful. Might not be a bad idea to get another opinion. Good luck.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon