My question is about gynecomastia surgery and the need or not to remove excess skin round the breast (Photo)

I was fat during my childhood and i've lost 67 lbs my belly is still big but it's getting smaller without any weight lost so i supose it's becose my skin is tighting .now i have a gynecomastie problem and my doctor says he has to remove the skin also ,but i don't want to have much sckars ,so i want to know if i really do need to get the skin removred round the brest or since my belly is shrinking so will the skin around the brest .please help me i need to do the surgery as fast as possible.

Surgical Techniques Treating Gynecomastia

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Lastly, it is crucial you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

What is gynecomastia

GYNECOMASTIA = Breast Enlargement in Men, below are some basic information to know about the procedure and if it is for you:
Gynecomastia or breast enlargement in men can be corrected by a variety of plastic surgical techniques. This condition often creates a psychological poor self perception and many males of all ages do not take their shirts off because of this stigma. Candidates are men who have over-developed or enlarged breasts which may occur as the result of hormonal changes or hereditary conditions.
Candidates are healthy men, whose condition cannot be corrected through exercise, weight reduction or other non-surgical treatments. Appropriate preconditions for surgery are the stabilization of breast development (no further breast enlargement) and localized areas of excess breast tissue and fat.
Intended Result
The procedure intends to reduce the breast size and redundant breast tissue to enhance the contours of the chest. The surgery often reduces physical discomfort associated with the area, as well as physiological and emotional dissatisfaction with the area.
Procedure Description
General, Intravenous or local anesthesia are used for this procedure depending on the severity and type of procedure(s) selected by your plastic surgeon. It is performed on an outpatient basis. For males with very large breasts staged procedures (more than one procedure) may be required. For example, the first procedure may be liposuction, then several weeks to months later after skin contraction has occurred, a separate procedure is done to remove excess skin. By doing a staged procedure, often the final scars are less.
Oftentimes, specific types of liposuction cannulas are used and often in conjunction with direct removal of excess breast glandular tissue through small incisions for mild to moderate gynecomastia. Other specific techniques can reduce the areola when needed or reposition the nipple to create the appearance of a more natural contour.

Gynecomastia Surgery

Gynecomastia is characterized by enlarged breast tissue and affects an astonishing 40 to 60% of men. Fortunately, the condition is often easily reversed with liposuction just by making a small incision under the nipple reducing the size of the breast using virtually a scarless technique. Liposuction with ultrasound and fine laser beams liquefy the fat and glandular tissue recontouring the breast around the areola and from the sides and bottom of the breasts. Because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, a smooth contour after fat is removed is possible. I recommend making an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who can go over your surgical options with you.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi sioro,

Thanks for the post and the photo. First, congratulations on your weight loss. In my practice I rarely excise skin in the first stage. Most younger patients will have some degree of skin tightening which may eliminate excess scars, or at the very least minimize the scars. In your case, I would recommend liposuction and excision, limiting the incision to the lower half of the areola. I would then wait at least 6 months to see how the skin and areola tighten. If you are uncomfortable with the excess scars, then I recommend you seek a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

My question is about gynecomastia surgery and the need or not to remove excess skin round the breast

Hi there
All that you need right now is liposuction and gland removal
You look young and there is quite a good chance that your skin settles well
If there is still lose skin after a year or two skin excision may be done

on a back thought is the doctor you are consulting,is  a plastic surgeon?

Skin removal with gynecomastia surgery?

Please, please do not have skin removed -- it will leave very objectionable and permanent scars.

You appear to be young -- and young skin has fabulous elasticity and ability to tighten on its own -- even if you have been overweight.

I have performed thousands of gynecomastia procedures and have very very rarely needed to remove excess skin from a young person (usually only done when breasts are visibly drooping at the onset).  

The goal of gynecomastia surgery is to end up with a natural appearing, contoured male chest with virtually no scars to show for it.  Further,  most gynecomastia surgery requires a combination of liposuction and gland excision combined -- not at separate operations.

My best recommendation to you is not to rush into surgery without seeking another opinion -- particularly from a gyne expert in your area.  And if there is no one with the requisite expertise near you, then consider traveling to secure that opinion -- it will be well worth your efforts.

You might be interested in reading more about gynecomastia on my website captioned below.

Good luck!

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City

Gynecomastia without skin removal (excision).

Based on your photos and in particular, your age, one may attempt breast reduction (gynecomastia correction) using liposuction only. Several months after liposuction you and your surgeon should decide whether additional surgery by means of skin excision and/or gland excision is needed. It is not predictable how much will your skin shrink after liposuction.

Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for evaluation and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Skin removal or not ?

• Thank you for your question and photo. Over the last twenty years I have done many gynecomastia procedures where skin removal was necessary and many where it was not. Your skin will definitely contract some after the gynecomastia resection and liposuction. How much contraction you get depends on the technique used, your skin tone and thickness. That can only be determined in person. My best advice is to seek another opinion if you are not happy with the one you have. Only get the procedure if you are comfortable with both the Surgeon and the technique being used. Best of luck. 

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

GYNECOMASTIA OHIO OH

How should I choose a surgeon THAT WILL LEAVE A TINY SCAR?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD