Which type of a doctor is a more qualified plastic surgeon for a lower Blepharoplasty?

Should I choose a doc certified by the Am Board of Ophthal. with plastic surgeon fellowship OR a BOARD certified (FACIAL)Plastic surgeon? I liked a doc certified by the Am Board of Ophthalmology with a fellowship in Oculo-facial Plastic Surgery. However, I am concerned that the doctor is NOT certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon. They specialize in cosmetic surgeries around the eye. Should i worry if the surgeon is ONLY Ophthalmologist FAAO, FABCS/Oculo-facial plastic fellow

What type of doctor is a more qualified plastic surgeon for a lower blepharoplasty?

Plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and ocular plastic surgeons all perform lower blepharoplasty procedures. Look for surgeon who is dedicated a significant component of their practice to the discipline of lower eyelid surgery, and has a large portfolio of before and after photographs that you like.

It is essential to understand that credentials do not guarantee the quality of surgery.

Credentials are essential for establishing minimal qualifications for cosmetic and eyelid surgeons.  However, it is not a substitute for really understanding the quality of the work that a surgeon performs.  Study their website.  Surgeons you are interested in warrant a personal consultation.  What do they recommend, do they make sense to you, can you afford the work that is being proposed.  I personally think that the fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons have the best, most extensive training in eyelid plastic surgery.  However, that is on average and you will need to make the choice of an individual surgeon.

Oculofacial plastic surgeon by far

Dear Milabg,

Oculofacial plastic surgeons are trained to do this during their whole training and after. they are facial plastic surgeons. If you are talking about ENT facial plastics, We are trained to deal with all problems related to eyes. I receive many consultation to repair problems resulted from lower eyelid bleph from other surgeons in the area.  

Soheila Rostami, MD, FAAO, FABCS
McLean Oculoplastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.  It is extremely important to carefully examine the specific board-certification criteria of your chosen surgeon.  You will find many different answers to your question on this site, most of which depend on the specific surgeon's background who is answering your question.  In the end, I think we all agree that it is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Surgeon Credentials

Hi milabg,

You ask a very frequently asked question. In general, American Society of Oculoplastic Surgeon (ASOPRS) surgeons are fellowship-trained, board-certified ophthalmologists who have received two-years of dedicated training in plastic and reconstructive surgery of the eyelids, orbit and mid-face. Facial Plastic Surgeons are board-certified otolaryngologists, general plastic surgeons or oral surgeons who have additional training in plastic and reconstructive surgery of the entire face. Both types of surgeons are qualified to perform eyelid surgery. The most important question you should find out it is how much eyelid surgery does the surgeon perform. You want the surgeon who is most experienced performing the procedure you are having done. 

I hope this helps, good luck!

John McCann, MD, PhD
Sandy Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid surgery

Lower lids surgery can be performed by a plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon.

All three are trained in the procedure

All three have training in the procedure.  Occuloplastics spend 1 year after opthalmology residency in fellowship, facial plastics spend 1 year after an ent residency and plastic surgeons spend on average 3 years specializing in plastic surgery including the face and eye area.  Some plastic surgeons also have additional year long fellowships in just aesthetic plastic surgery.  So the answer to your question is that all 3 specialties could obtain hospital privileges to perform lower lid blepharoplasty, but who is best at it really depends on the skills of the individual surgeon.   

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

So Oculoplastic surgeon is the right specialist for eyelid surgery

An Oculoplastic or Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon is an ophthalmologist who has gone onto a fellowship with its focus exclusively on the eyes and surrounding areas of the face, such as the cheeks and forehead. These specialists spend their two years of fellowship specialty training dedicated exclusively to the eyes and their surrounds, with exquisite knowledge of the eyes and their function as vision organs. Beautiful and safe results are their goal. Other specialists, such as facial plastic surgeons spend the same two years of their fellowship learning other things as well, such as nose and neck surgery, which dilutes their eyelid training. General plastic surgeons are even less well trained in eyes because they have their training years to learn the whole body to learn, like tummy tucks, breast surgery, etc. So if you are interested in having your eyes done, choose an experienced Oculoplastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon