Not happy with my BA results: asymmetric and too big. When's the best time time to swap out implants? What should I consider?

At consult, said I sought a natural looking BA. Tried on sizers, said 300cc was too big, but was told go up a size under the muscle. Vectra said left breast was .3 cc bigger than right. Day of BA said "I trust you to pick the size that'll give me what I want but remember less is more" bc he's done this 100s of times; I haven't ever. Was given 270 on left, 300 on right. 4-weeks post-op, want to swap out R 300 for a 270 bc right one is just too big. When should I do this, what should I consider?

Thank you for the question but you are too early post op to really be able to judge your final result.  So wait at least another three months before making a decision about a change in size.

Dr. Corbin

Implant exchange

I am so sorry that you are unhappy with your results. I would advise you to wait until 6 months post op before scheduling an implant exchange. Hope this helps.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast Augmentation / Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants / Silicone Implants/ Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time.  Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Revision augmentation

Patients should wait until the swelling subsides and the breasts are healed. This can take 3-4 months or longer.

Swap Out Implants

Thank you very much for your question.

Since you are still only 4 weeks out, you still have quite a bit of healing to do.  Your swelling isn't completely gone and your implants haven't settled.  I would wait until you are 3 months out before making any judgments on size and shape.

Regarding the size difference, the difference between a 300 and a 270 is barely noticeable once you put the implant into the breast, and I often caution patients against making these subtle changes surgically (there are risks with every surgery, even if the risks are low).  If you really want to see a difference, often size differences much more than 30 cc's are needed.  Just a thought.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast augmentation

It is very early in the healing and settling process.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.

Timing for implant exchange

I am sorry to learn that you are having issues or concerns about your sizing. You actually have a few different options at this point. First you should wait a bit longer to allow them to completely  settle. This will take about 2-6 months. If at that point, you are unhappy, then you can go back to surgery. You can make the adjustments using different implants or adding fat to your smaller breast. This way you will not have to buy a new implant.

Pictures and a bit more info is also helpful. So you may return to your surgeon and discuss what options he would use. Or seek another opinion.

Michael J Brown, MD
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation Expert

1 month post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

Its too early to talk about final results with only 1 month post op. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Considering switching implants

By only being 4 weeks out, you have got to give your body time to heal. Also, keep in mind that your breast are still going to change some once they settle in and drop some. I would recommend you waiting around 6 months before considering having anything changed. Give your body time to adjust.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. As you are only recently out from surgery, it is important to remember that a number of factors may be contributing to a current size asymmetry - swelling of skin and adipose tissue, muscle swelling and tightness.  I know waiting is difficult, but allow your results time to mature over the next 3-4 months and then assess your results.  Allowing more time may correct your current results, but if a replacement is needed, it will also make for a safer, more predictable operation.