Crooked nose after functional Septorhinoplasty, should I get a revision? (photos)

Please help. I hate my nose after the operation. It's been just over 3 months and not only do I have bumps so the profiles are horrible, the nose totally points one to the right. I can't understand if it's just the tip or the whole nose that needs to be revisited. What can I do? Please help!

For now, wait

I know it's frustrating, but for now, I would advise you to wait. 3 months is simply too soon to judge your results. You want to wait until at least 6 months for the swelling to resolve. If you are still unhappy at that point, schedule an appointment with your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss revision options.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty issue

Being that you are only 3 months out, you will need to wait a good 6-12 months in most cases for the swelling to completely subside before considering any type of revision.

Post rhinoplasty

Dear B,

Thanks for submitting your before and after pictures. Additional side view pictures would have been helpful. From observing your picture, it appears that your nose curves slightly to the right and there is a small indentation on the right slope. In the pre operative picture , you have fullness on the left pre tip area and indentation on the right pre tip area. That did not change much in the post operative picture. Again, without the side view, I can't comment on the bumps.

Without physical examination it is impossible  to determine if the nose curve to the right  is due to external imperfections or due to septal deviation issue.

At this stage, I would recommend to wait one year from surgery for the healing process to complete, and than reassess.  Your best option is to return to your surgeon , but if you lost confidence in him consult with other experienced  board certified plastic surgeons, who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly , check the before and after pictures, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive.

Dr Widder

Rhinoplasty post op shape

Thanks for your question.  It is somewhat difficult to fully assess the issue given your photo and position, however 3 months is only the beginning of the healing time.  It is important to allow your nose to fully recover and the shape to settle out to its final position.  That said, the irregularities you mention may be structural underneath the skin.

We would be happy to evaluate you in person - however it is likely that you will need more time before a re-operation is warranted.  Opening the nose too many times can cause excessive scarring and distortion and make it more difficult to correct the problem.

Hope that helps,

Christopher C. Chang, MD 

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Possible revision

It is common for post operative swelling to take up to 9-12 months to resolve.  Since you are only 3 months out, I recommend you give it some more time prior to considering revision.  Once you reach 1 year after surgery, it is reasonable to consider revision if you still feel your nose is deviated.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Crooked nose after functional Septorhinoplasty, should I get a revision?

Thank you for the question and the pictures.  You can get a revision in the future - yes, but I recommend you wait.  I always look to have patients wait at least one year before any revision rhinoplasty for many different reasons, and this includes allowing the swelling to go away.  The swelling in the tip can take 9-12 months or more to resolve.  Since rhinoplasty requires such precision to achieve excellent results, the last thing you would want to do is get analysis and surgical planning done with swelling that would be interfering with the process.  Allow yourself more time to heal and resolve swelling and then reassess around one year after your surgery.  Best wishes to you.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Wirth Plastic Surgery

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS