I'm considering liposculpture. Can I expect a true hour glass shape with a flat stomach? (Photo)

I am 24 years old. I never had children. I am a bariatric patient, lost 70 pounds. I do not really have any loose skin. I am at my ideal weight 145-150 I wanted to know realistically what my results would be after lipo of my full abs, flanks, love handles, and low back?

Liposculpture After Weight Loss

First, you are to be congratulated for your weight loss. Dropping 70 lbs. shows that you’ve got the commitment it takes to maintain your new body once you reach your desired proportions. Because of that - and because your skin has retracted so nicely after extreme weight loss - you appear to be an excellent candidate for Liposculpting.

Regarding whether Liposculpting can achieve an hour-glass figure, no reputable board certified plastic surgeon would give you a guarantee. That depends upon your underlying bone structure and musculature. What I can say is that Liposculting performed by a cosmetic surgeon with expertise in precise body contouring should leave you with excellent abdominal, waist, hip, and flank shape and definition.

I'm considering liposculpture. Can I expect a true hour glass shape with a flat stomach?

Congratulations for your weight loss. I think that for your body type, with liposuction alone you'll get a nice shape of your body, with very good waist. The advantage you have is that you do not have sagging skin despite having lost 70 pounds. Another advantage you have in your favor is age. I think sticking with very good figure. Am at your command.

Dr. Marte.

Manuel Marte, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Considering Liposculpture, can I expect a true hour glass shape with flat stomach ?

Yes, you have  good quality of skin and  fat deposits very well define, so Liposculpture will be a great option for you.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

"Hourglass" & Liposculpture

Great questions!  Congratulations on your weight loss.  You should be very proud of your self.  First of all, based on your pictures, you have a very good chance of achieving the results that you are looking for.  The only area, at least by pictures, that I see for concern is your love handles area, which have some stretch marks and will be less responsive to skin tightening techniques used during liposculpture.  The "hourglass" appearance that you are striving to achieve is accomplished through a combination of liposuction/liposculpture of your waistline and fat grafting to your hips (Not always required, but can be determined needed, based on your physical examination and your "hourglass" goals.

Excellent candidate

You are an outstanding candidate for liposuction.  The skin should respond beautifully and you should have excellent contours.

Liposuction, Liposculpture, Hi Def Liposuction of the abdomen and back

Congratulations on your 70 pound weight loss.  From your photos, I believe that you are a very good-to-excellent candidate for liposculture/ liposelection.  These terms refer to liposuction of not just one body area, but of composite body areas including the abdomen, lateral abdomen, flanks, back, and supragluteal areas.  The procedure removes only external body fat, not internal fat.  It also will not tighten abdominal muscles.  If your body fat is external and you have good abdominal muscles, you should receive an excellent result based on your photos.

Creating hyper femininity

The main limiting factor on creating drastic hourglass figures is usually the inherent shape of the body underneath the fat layer. If somebody has more of a square body, then the potential of creating hourglass figure is less.

I often refer to this as hyper-feminizing.

Perhaps this is what differentiates body sculpting from simple liposuction.

Think of overall liposuction as producing a smaller body size but keeping the shape fairly similar. Selectively removing fat can create more dramatic curves. Selectively removing fat and adding fat to certain areas can give even more dramatic curves. 

Follow up with the plastic surgeon who has experience in liposuction and fat transfer.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

The hourglass figure can be created with liposuction and even with fat grafting to the buttocks and hips, if desired.  I would search for the surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results. Look at reviews and before and after pictures on that surgeon's website.

Liposculpture | Liposuction | Liposhaping

Liposuction, Liposculpture will remove additional fatty tissue to improve your shape, but will not remove any excess skin that you may have.

To be sure what is right for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS