12 weeks post Gyno surgery pain under nipple and swelling due to scar tissue? (photos)

The surgery results looked great after a couple of weeks but have slowly gotten worse since. I had glandular removal surgery. I had surgery about 12 weeks ago. If this is scar tissue, what are my options?

Swelling 12 Weeks Post Gyno Surgery

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Healing from Gynecomastia Surgery

Ho concerned123z,

Thanks for the post and photos. Typically scar tissue can become prominent in the first three months. The distinction between scar tissue formation and residual gland tissue is that if it were residual gland tissue, it would be present right after surgery. If it were scar tissue formation it would initially look and feel good and then may feel firm or lumpy weeks or months later. It sounds like you may have scar tissue formation. I recommend seeing your plastic surgeon. There are massage techniques and if unsuccessful, kenalog injections that can break up the scar tissue.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

12 Weeks Post Op Gynecomastia

You should be improving, not getting worse.  See your Plastic Surgeon for an in person exam to rule out complications.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD