Symmastia Revision

What actually happens in the repair of symmastia?? My PS has told me but I didn't really understand. My revision is in 9 days

About Symmastia Revision Surgery

Symmastia is a condition which can occur when the implants are too close together. Patients often refer to this as a “uniboob.” Occassionally, the space or pocket for the breast implant is created towards the center, or the tissue stretches, forcing  the implants to fall too much towards the center of the breasts. 
Correction of this problem may involve using different implants such as textured, a smaller size, or a smaller base and placing the implants in a new pocket. On occasion, this may require surgery in more than one stage to allow the tissues to heal and then place the implants. If the implants have been placed above the muscle, converting them under the muscle frequently will help and, again, the use of a dermal substitute may be required for additional support if the tissues are thin. The techniques of capsulorrhaphy and neopectoral pockets may apply here as well.  Additional elective cosmetic #surgery is a personal choice. Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Symmastia Revision

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced.  You will find that there is no way to generalize exactly what is involved in symmastia  corrective surgery and exactly what the recovery experience will be like.  There will be lots of variation from one plastic surgeon to another, and from one patient to another. You will be better off, in this regard discussing the planned operation and the expected recovery with your chosen plastic surgeon.

In my practice, having used a variety of “techniques” for correction of symmastia, I find that the most reliable technique involves a 2 layer capsulorrhaphy (internal suture repair of the breast implant pockets along the cleavage area). Often, the use of acellular dermal matrix is helpful also. I have also been pleased with the (at least partial) correction of skin tenting that can be achieved with the use of the acellular dermal matrix.

Often, it is necessary to “open” (reverse capsulotomy) the breast implant pocket laterally (outer breast fold) to allow for positioning of the implant centrally behind the breast mound. This maneuver may also decrease the amount of implant pressure against the medial suture line. 

I also find that careful attention to postoperative activity restrictions is key to success with this type of surgery and other types of implant malposition revisionary breast surgery.

Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to more specifics.  You may find attached link helpful to you when it comes to more general symmastia  corrective surgery concerns. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.