Will going back to high impact sport ruin my breast uplift/reduction results? My surgeon has given conflicting advice!

Im12 wks post breast uplift & reduction. Had some delayed healing but all is well now. My last visit with surgeon I asked about returning to exercise, I play high level netball. He told me due to 'poor skin quality' that I shouldnt ever play again if I want to maintain results. I was upset by this, so I emailed my concerns a week later and the reply was 'once you are fully healed you can return to all sports'..! Please help, I'm desperate to return to playing but don't want to ruin anything!

Returning to activities after breast surgery

Following a breast reduction surgery, it takes about 2 weeks for the wounds to heal, but can take up to 6 weeks before the tissues have healed reasonably well for you to engage in exercises and sports. After this period you should be able to resume all activities. It would obviously be advantageous to use a support sports bra when playing sports. 

Leeds Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast reduction

Hi. Glad to hear your wounds have fully healed following your breast reduction surgery. You should now be 16 weeks post breast uplift and reduction. There should not be any problem with you returning to exercise and high level activity after 6 weeks of this procedure. Wearing a well fitted sports bra should give you the support you require. 

Kenneth Kok, MBChB FRCS(plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Lipo-lift, breast lift, breast reduction, mastopexy, benelli, augmentation mastopexy

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size. It works very well if there are asymmetries. I can also use the removed fat as a natural breast augmentation by grafting the fat back into the breast to create more projection or into the top to create more cleavage. This procedure can also be combined with an implant if needed or wanted.  It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms, cancer risk or breast-feeding. If you gain or lose weight, the transferred fat can do the same.

I let patients return to normal physical activity at 6 weeks.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.  

Dr. Schwartz 

#RealSelf100Surgeon 

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Will going back to high impact sport ruin my breast uplift/reduction results?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Generally speaking, most plastic surgeons would agree with the response you received through your plastic surgeon's email. In other words, once you are fully healed you should be able to return to full activities. The use of a supportive bra of course will be helpful. Best wishes for a long-term outcome that you will be very pleased with.