Lumps 3 weeks after face & neck lift (Photo)

A have a large lump on cheekbone when I smile and a long bump on my neck. Is this normal after 3 weeks?

Healing after a Facelift

It is very common to have swelling like this at your phase after a facelift. 

The best advice is to be patient and follow-up with your surgeon with questions. 

Dr Bonaparte

Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps following facelift.

Dear hollywood1066:

Between weeks 2 to 12 scar in the form of collagen is developing the strength to hold your tissues together. This lumpy, bumpy phase is exaggerated as the tissue fluid, swelling or edema recede. 

These 2 bumps you indicate may be a further bundle of collagen formation surrounding the sutures use internally to suspend the deeper soft tissues. They may also be minimal fluid collections. 

It is possible to assist the smoother, remodeled formation of scar with massage. 

It is best to follow-up with your surgeon to discuss these normal appearing concerns with him / her. 

I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Bumps after surgery

It is typical to have swelling 3 weeks after surgery which can cause the lumps and bumps you have noted.  I recommend you allow some time for this to resolve on its own.  The final results after this type of surgery can take a full 6-12 months to become apparent, so try to be patient. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Lumps 3 weeks after facelift and necklift

As you have heard, 3 weeks after this type of surgery, lumps and bumps are very common.  Be patient with the healing process and make sure your surgeon is aware of your concerns.  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps 3 weeks after face & neck lift

Skin irregularities can occur early after facelift and most soften over the next 6-8 weeks. However an in person exam is necessary to properly understand what is going on. Please see your surgeon for an exam.

Lumps and bumps

Thanks for your post. You are still quite early in the healing process and lumps like these can occur as part of normal healing.

The important thing to do is communicate your concerns with your surgeon so that he or she may follow appropriately for resolution of these issues.

Try to remain patient during this time. Over the coming weeks and months you should experience improvement. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift - lumpy after 3 weeks

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

Yes, this is entirely normal after 3 weeks.
You are still swollen from surgery.
Please show these areas to your surgeon so the two of you can follow your healing to be sure these areas subside.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facelift Post Op Lumbs

Lumbs  are very frequent and should dissapear most face lifts  in 2 to 6 months  depending on your healing. 

Luis Pavajeau, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #beauty

Dear hollywood1066

Thank you for your question and photos!  Post operative swelling, healing and contour can take time to settle. Your surgeon should review with you.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Lumps 3 weeks after face & neck lift

Hello Hollywood1066,

It is very common to have little lumps and bumps three weeks after surgery.  It has to do with how the body is healing and how swelling develops unevenly on the face.  I liken it to a parking lot after a rain.  Even if the parking lot looked completely flat, puddles will develop.  But with time the water goes away, and the same is true for the lumps and bumps.  There are also injections that can be given if it is felt the lumps are from scar tissue that is developing.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon