Is my expectation realistic about weak chin? (Photo)

I have a weak chin which bothers me. I can't close my mouth without chin dimpling and my profile is bad. What are my options about fix it? There're some photos showing what i want it to be. Is my expectation realistic? Is it possible to reach my desired look?

Realistic expectation about weak chin - YES

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for posting your question and photos here. I do think you would be a great candidate for chin surgery to achieve the look you desire. In some patients, under projecting chins can result in a “mentalis strain” – i.e. dimpling of the chin and difficulty closing the lips, similar to what you described. The vertical height along with the deficiency of projection can be corrected through a sliding genioplasty. When your chin has decreased vertical length, it tends to make your nose appear longer than it actually is. During my consultations I perform a simple facial analysis to determine your projection deficiency. Typically your lower facial height should be equal or up to 3mm greater than your midface height. In my opinion you would benefit greatly from the results of a genioplasty to add balance to the rest of your facial features.

Is my expectation realistic about weak chin?

You  are quite realistic and appear to be a suitable candidate for chin augmentation with a silastic implant. The surgery can be tailored to your sense of aesthetics in terms of projection and width.

Dennis Barek, MD (retired)
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

What to do about the weak chin.

Yes your expectation is realistic.  The question is what option is best for you. Weak chins usually go along with weak jaws and the teeth not aligning well. If your teeth are not aligned, your option is to improve your function by aligning your teeth better which will achieve the look you desire with the chin.  If the alignment of your teeth is not an issue your options go down to an implant (various kinds) and a genioplasty by cutting and moving your own bone into the position you desire. Implants are good for horizontal movement ( just moving forward). A genioplasty where the bone is cut is good for horizontal movement and vertical movement.  Your first photo goes more with an implant and your second has a little vertical movement which goes better with the genioplasty (cutting the bone).

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

The photographs do appear to be a realistic expectation for a chin implant placement for a weak and recessive profile. Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of sizes and shapes, are usually placed through a submental approach under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. For many examples, diagrams and more information, please see the video and the link below

Chin Augmentation

The chin augmentation result you are showing is realistic. But because you have lower lip incompetence and chin dimpling, you would be better served by a  sliding genioplasty rather than a chin implant.