How much weight should I lose before I consider breast reduction?

I want to get a breast reduction at some point, but I am obese. I know that losing weight often involves some loss of breast tissue, so I want to wait until I'm closer to my goal weight to look into the reduction, as I don't want to end up losing even more tissue after the fact. I'm 5'1 and 170 lbs. I wear a 34HH(UK)/34L(US) bra. My question is, at what point do you think it would be good to consider surgery? When I'm no longer obese? When I'm no longer at all overweight?

Breast Reduction/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

With your statistics your BMI is approximately 32 so you are safe for surgery any time you feel ready from a body weight standpoint.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Best Time for Surgery

I do believe losing weight would be a healthy choice simply because of your height and weight proportion. However, as far as how much to lose you would want to consult with your primary care physician about that matter. After speaking with your PCP(primary care physician) about your weight, then consult with your plastic surgeon and let them know what you have discussed with your PCP and then your plastic surgeon will better be able to assist you with when is the best time for your to proceed with having surgery.

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery at some point. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation (best chance to achieve an optimal aesthetic outcome), and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.
As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.

Optimal weight for breast reduction

This is a great question. It is often addressed in my practice when the patient desires breast reduction. Weight loss and change in breast size are highly variable from patient the patient. My advice would be to eat healthy and exercises regularly. Achieve a weight that you are comfortable with and that is easy to maintain. Once you have reached your goal weight, and her breast reduction outcome should be stable.

Joseph C. Berardi, MD