Is my vagina normal? Do I qualify for any type of surgery? (Photos)

I've felt as if for a while I've had a sort of extra growth.

Not normal

You qualify for a labiaplasty trim procedure. The procedure is rather simple and could be done with a local anesthetic.

Grapevine OB/GYN

Remodeling asymmetric labia

Yes, you are a candidate for an in-office minor linear reduction labiaplasty. The cost for your surgery here in Northern CA in my office would be $2000 total "out-the-door" but you may be able to have it done "under insurance." WARNING!! Make sure your surgeon is experienced and "specializes" in this surgery. You can visit their website. If the site features "genital plastics" and labiaplasty on a separate page, and you can see at least 10-20 "before & after" photos, then fine. But a "general gynecologist "who doesn't specialize in LP surgery is a "no-no". The weblink below contains a few women who have has "unilateral labiaplasty" to remodel a single enlarged labum.
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Thank you for your question and photos.  You obviously have an asymmetry with the right labium appearing as if it has a "skin tag" or possible a labial tear (were you born with this asymmetry or did you "acquire" it?).  This can definitely be corrected with surgery, if it bothers you enough.  I would have to do an examination to recommend a specific surgical procedure, but it could range from something quite simple to more complex, depending upon the cosmetic outcome you desire.  Think about how you wish you looked "down there" and if you can find photos to show your surgeon, that may be helpful.  Then, seek a surgeon with expertise specifically in female genital reconstruction and cosmetic surgery (not just ANY surgeon will do, regardless of specialty) - generally, these will be board certified plastic or gynecologic surgeons who specialize in female genital procedures.

Labial asymmetry

Hello,No, it doesn't look 'normal' because of the large right labia minora.  Your left side looks great! and a proper in-office labial reduction to make both sides match would be a tremendous improvement.Look at the link below for hundreds of Before and After photos. Your next step is identifying a cosmetic vaginal surgeon with experience to give you results you want.Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

The area on the right is excess labial skin. If this bothers you in size or appearance, it can be very easily removed as an in-office procedure, to provide symmetry of the labia. You can see before and after pictures of labiaplasties at the link below. 

Candidate for Vaginal Rejuvenation

Women have a wide range of normal  color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.

You have a focal elongation of the right labium

This is labia minora tissue that seems to have grown elongated in a very small area. This is not a medical problem, but can be reduced effectively with a small, unilateral labiaplasty.

Is Patient's Vagina Normal?

From you photos, your labia appear to be normal, but one side is shaped with a well-defined extension. This would be correctable with a labiaplasty. If you are interested in surgery, look for an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist, and look at the before-and-after photos. Labiaplasty, when done correctly, has a high satisfaction rate.For more information, click on the link below.All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Yes, your vagina looks “normal” but it appears that the right side of your labia minora is affected by a skin tag or other excessive growth. It could also be torn. This can be removed or repaired with labiaplasty.

Right Labial Hypertrophy

Based on the photos you provided, you have unilateral right labial hypertrophy. Many women with this excess skin report that it interferes with clothing choices, certain activities and are unsatisfied with the aesthetic appearance. This is easily addressed with labiaplasty surgery and I would recommend the linear technique. It's important that you work with a specialist and not a general gynecologist, as they are not familiar with optimal techniques. Cheers!