Looking to get a revision! Any suggestions? (photos)

I got my breast implants about two years ago. I was completely flat chested and wore 36A. I feel like the size is still too small for my size. I currently weight 170 and I'm 5'3. My surgeon said I didn't not have enough tissue under my breasts to go bigger and so I went with 350cc and 370cc. I am very dissatisfied with the results and I think that 6,500 was not worth it.

Looking to get a revision! Any suggestions?

Thank you for the question. Although it is not possible to provide you with definitive advice without an person evaluation, most patients are able to "go larger" at a second stage, once the breast tissues have expanded (after first-time breast augmentation). Sometimes, during this revisionary surgery, adjustment of the breast implant capsules is also necessary to achieve the desired outcome. 

You will find that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice in regards to selection of specific breast implant size/profile. 

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "too small for my size" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Looking to get a revision

HI alumni,

You probably could go bigger since 2 years have passed and the skin and muscle have had time to relax a bit. Sometimes when a patient has very little breast tissue, it is difficult to stretch the skin and muscle to accommodate a very large size.

To speak honestly, I think that you have a very nice result. You might return to see your former surgeon to discuss what you would like now. As a returning patient, he/she might be less expensive than another new surgeon.

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Implant size change better after time

Implant size is determined by a combination of the patient's goals and the limitations of her anatomy. Those factors include the tightness of the skin and the tissue coverage, which is partly related to the amount of breast tissue. Since it has been 2 years, the tissues have stretched and so going larger could work.

Richard Baxter, MD

Looking to get a revision!

Thank you for your question. Given the pictures that you have provided it is clearly possible to increase the size of your implants.  Large implants can cause more problems with rippling and stretching of your skin. Discuss your goals with your surgeon. Best of luck!

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Can I go larger?

Now that some time is past, and your tissues have had a chance to stretch, you certainly could have a breast upsizing procedure. Some of the scar tissue around the implant called a capsule may need to be open slightly to accommodate your new larger size. Beware, however, that larger implants in smaller breasts can cause very late problems of more atrophy of the overlying breast as well as possible lateral and downward descent. I would discuss the pros and cons of this procedure with your chosen plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS