Is this ptosis, and does it look like something that can be repaired pretty easily? Any advice? (photos)

I'm 36 years old and have been wearing contact lenses since I was 14. Over the last ten years, my right eyelid has gradually started to droop, and my right eye no longer looks the same size as my left. In the pictures I've attached, I was squinting a bit, and you can see that my right eye was still sort of hanging there while the left one squinted. It is more noticeable in the mornings. It affects my confidence now. People make comments sometimes, and I hate that I always look "off" in photos.

Doctor Answers 3

You do look like your are squinting in these photographs.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
How about posting photos where you are not squinting?  You may have ptosis.  It is hard to tell in these photos.  I recommend seeing a fellowship trained, aesthetically oriented oculoplastic surgeon for an assessent.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that will help you find a highly qualified surgeons to assess your concerns in a personal consultation.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Is this ptosis?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sorry, but your photos are somewhat suboptimal to render an exact opinion.  You do have narrow palpebral fissures, so that can be defined by ptosis depending upon racial variants.  If it is troubling you then there are surgical procedures that can repair ptosis of the eyelid(s).  Generally, oculoplastic surgeons perform the most eyelid ptosis surgeries.  Those that are fellows of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic Reconstructive Surgery have had extensive post-residency training in eyelid plastic surgery-both cosmetic and reconstructive.  Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Eyelid asymmetry, ptosis?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A more detailed photos and extensive clinical exam is needed to give you relevant opinion about your condition. You should seek a consultation with an experienced oculoplastic or board certified plastic surgeon for detailed evaluation and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.