How long is recovery after breast lift and implant?

I will need a breast lift along with tissue being removed from my left breast due to the big size difference between my right and left breast. I'm also getting silicone implants placed under muscle. How long is the recovery period? I can work from home so would I be able to work after three or four days?

Recovery After a Breast Lift

Recovery after a breast lift surgery varies from patient to patient.  For example, most patients return back to work 4-5 days post surgery depending on what their job entails.  I recommend patients to not resume any physical activity such as running, jogging, lifting, pushing and or pulling over 15lbs until 6 weeks post surgery. 

However, always consulting with your PS directly is always best to see what he/she personally recommends for you!

Recovery after Breast Lift and Implant

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.
As I tell my patients, you make take gentle walks within a few days following your #surgery. Light #activity may be started 7-10 days after surgery. If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical, strenuous activity for a specified period of time. Do not begin light aerobic #exercise for 3 weeks and strenuous exercise for at least 6 weeks. Let your body tell you what it can tolerate. It is always recommended to call and see your surgeon to discuss your healing concerns.
Your procedure should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Thank you for your questions. There are two issues here, one related to healing of the breast implant and the other related to incisional healing.  If you are having a Benelli uplift the incision is pretty strong and stable pretty quickly but if you are having a full uplift with the keyhole pattern there is some delicateness at the T point junctions.  This must be protected by avoidance of trauma or over exertion.After placement of breast implants patients have modest pain to moderate pain for the first three days and generally the remainder of the week are tender with mild tenderness during the second week.  This allows for resumption of limited driving after a week and limited activities within days of the surgery.Incisions are generally strong within two weeks but I advise my patients to limit their exercise and activities especially using their upper body for a period of six weeks while the capsule is being formed surrounding the implant.  Excessive upper body exertion in the first 6 to 8 weeks can cause mild bleeding from the edge of the pectoral muscle which itself increases the risk of capsule contracture. Consquently I asked my patients to avoid blood thinners and to limit upper body exertion.Most important for you is to review your plastic surgeon's restrictions and routine after surgery to be sure that you follow their directions.Best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for your question.  Generally, my patients typically require 4-7 days to return to light duty work after this type of surgery.  If everything heals well, working from home by the 4th day is usually doable.  Be sure to review your surgeon's instructions.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Recovery after breast lift with implants

It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her activity protocol. I tell my patients that there is some discomfort the first three days after surgery, which eases up a lot by the fourth day. Most of my patients are back to work in an office setting the 5th day after surgery. So, I believe there is a good chance you would be able to work from home by the 3rd or 4th day, especially if you are not taking narcotics at that time. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you regarding returning to activities, including work. Generally speaking, patients are able to return to light duty/desk jobs about one week after surgery.  

Recovery after lift with implants varies

I have attached a link that might be helpful...

HI.  Generally speaking, you should not work for the time period that you are taking narcotics-this varies between patients, but is about 3-7 days.  This range depends upon the kind of lift, size of implants, individual pain thresholds, etc.  I recommend patients to avoid upper body activity (lifting, pushing, pulling, climbing, etc) as well, so consider your home work requirements when anticipating your time frame. Your surgeon will be able to give you more specifics. Good luck!