I am just over 2 weeks post-op and one breast is much bigger and lower than the other. Will they even out? (Photo)

I'm concerned because my left breast has been higher since surgery. The right one has dropped and is filling out nicely. The left one doesn't appear to be changing. They are visually very bothersome to me. They are also very oddly shaped to me and don't project. Am I worrying too soon?

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Asymmetry

Congrats on your augmentation, NMNweme! Some asymmetry after surgery is not uncommon and may have been there before. Often times if an implant is placed submuscularly and an implant is lower on one side it may be because the person is right hand or left hand dominant and the implant is being pushed by constant use of that one arm. Check with your board certified plastic surgeon and see what they think of the asymmetry. Best of luck, MMT

Asymmetry

Thank you for your question and photos. Many patients experience some asymmetry and differences in their breasts as they heal. Differences you began with will typically remain after surgery, but often asymmetries noted while healing will settle. Try to hold off on evaluating your results until at least 6 months post op.

All the best

Uneven breasts common at two weeks post op

At two weeks, the evenness that you see may have no relationship to the final result.  Most people have some degree of asymmetry before surgery and this can be magnified by the implants, especially soon after surgery.  Implant massage or displacement exercises might help speed the process along, but you should discuss this with your surgeon first.  Give it time.  It can take months for the stretching and settling to occur.  Like most others here, I tend to wait six months before considering a revisionary surgery.  Best wishes.

Asymmetry

Thank you for your question.  At two weeks it is too early to say what the result will be.  The implants need to drop and will likely appear more even with time.  I would recommend speaking with your plastic surgeon about any concerns you may have.  All the best, 

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Too early to tell

Thanks for your question and the photo. It is still too early to say what the final shape/position of the implants will be. The photo you submitted does demonstrate more fullness superiorly on the left. This could be a result of more swelling and/or it could also be that the lower crease is higher on that side. If you look at preop pics and notice initial asymmetries then this might help explain things. I tell patients that it takes about 6 months for things to mature enough that if a revision is necessary it can be done. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

BA concerns after surgery to size and shape

Thank you for your question. You are in early phase of healing. It usually take about several weeks for them to settle after surgery. Please follow instructions from your PS and reevaluate in 3 months again.

Breast Augmentation

Congrats on your surgery. Asymmetry after breast augmentation is quite common. Ask your board certified plastic surgeon about massage and other helpful techniques to help lower a breast implant that is too high. For the patients that have superiorly malpositioned breast implants, I use bra straps to force the implant in a downward direction.

Ioannis Varnalidis, MD, PhD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. You are very early in the post-operative period and swelling is to be expected. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and the implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

I am just over 2 weeks post-op and one breast is much bigger and lower than the other. Will they even out?

Thank you for your question.  It is very common her breasts to be asymmetrical in the first few weeks after breast augmentation.  Be sure to check your preop photos.  If one breast was smaller or higher the implant will drop more slowly in that breast.  Ask your plastic surgeon about breast implant displacement exercises.