Is my face burnt? (Photo)

I've always had chemical peels, I recently moved to Albuquerque nm and started going to a meda spa there, my second chemical peel she did was a 30% peel. This is the fourth day and my face looks burnt, its starting to peel but my skin under it looks red, I've been using the recovery products she gave me, I'm just worried that my face is damaged beyond repair, I'm 27 years old. Is this normal for my face to look this bad and how long before I completely heal?

Doctor Answers 3

Redness after a peel

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question vmtz. Chemical peels are great treatments for facial rejuvenation. I lived in Albuquerque for a year; it is a beautiful city. The weather there is very dry, which can affect the skin, particularly after treatments such as chemical peels. Redness and discoloration for the first week or two after a peel are normal. Often time just after an area peels off the skin is very red and sensitive. After a peel I use the Avene Therma Spray water and Elta MD Intense Moisturizer every couple of hours to help with recovery. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Chemical Peel problem

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I really can't see enough from your photo to make a accurate diagnosis. I would also need to know what type of peel was used, if your were using a retinA type of product prior to the peel ? Time,4- 6 weeks,  will probably help but you might need a bleaching cream or other corrective measure. I would recommend going to a board certified dermatologist for an assessment.  Even though  chemical peels, and for that matter many other procedures, are considered cosmetic, they involve the health of your skin and should be considered medical treatments which should be performed by a doctor who has studied skin or at least in an office where such a doctor can oversee and treat any complications.  Med spas often have doctors connected with them but almost never a dermatologist and the doctor is usually not on-site.  Dr. Adrienne Stewart M.D.  

Adrienne E. Stewart, MD
Denver Dermatologic Surgeon

Please get real medical care for this.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You would benefit from seeing a board certified dermatologist to assess your skin and recommend treatment.  Do not get chemical peels from med spas.  They really do not know how to care for your skin.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.