Eye bags and wrinkles developed rapidly within last 3-4 months. What is going on? (photos)

Within the last couple of months I have noticed very bad under eye bags and wrinkles when I smile. Now for the last 2 weeks I have changed my diet, started taking vitamins, started using retinol at night and this venom stuff I got at the mall in addition to drinking a lot more water. But honestly, it just seems to be getting worse. I am considering going for a consultation at a medi spa. What sorts of treatments would you recommend?

Eye Bags and Wrinkles - Botox and Fillers

From the pictures, it looks like you are seeing normal signs of mild aging. Don't worry! There's lots of stuff that can be done to improve things. It sounds like you are doing some of the right things by drinking lots of water and using retinol. I don't know what this venom stuff is, but just make sure its not something harmful. It looks like you need some relatively simple, non surgical procedures to camouflage the eye bags and get rid of the wrinkles. Botox will help with the wrinkles. The under eye area will improve dramatically with injection of some hyaluronic acid filler. I use Juvederm that I specifically prepare for the under eye area. The results over the last 12 years and thousands of patients have been really great. Duration of effect is fantastic under the eyes as well. I have had patients come back after 6 years and they don't need a touch up! I would think twice about the local medi spa, however. The under eye area is tricky to inject well. I would find an experienced injector, preferably referred by someone you trust, who can show you lots of before and after pictures. When it comes to your face, there are no short cuts. Do your research and you will have beautiful, long lasting results. Hope that helps! 

Eyelid changes

Hello, based on your photos, you may be a candidate for either lower lid surgery or non surgical options (i.e. fillers/botox).  I would recommend you seeing an Oculoplastic surgeon that has extensive experience in BOTH eyelid surgery and eyelid injectables so you get the best care possible. Not everyone is a filler candidate.  Best of luck, Dr Chris 

Spas and potions will not help. You need surgery

You have surgical issues and you need surgery. You will need blepheroplasty on your both upper and lower eyelids. Subsequently you will need Botox every 3-4 months. Everything else is waste of money and time.

Vasdev Rai, MD

What to do for lower eyelid bags and wrinkles

Thank you for posting your concerns. If your bags are mild, injection of Restylane might hide them. If the bags are significant, blepharoplasty is the treatment of choice. In general, lasers, microneedling and other superficial treatments are only minimally beneficial.  Good luck,

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

The eyes are best treated with a combination approach of fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP for improvement. Ultherapy/thermage, venus legacy all do well for swelling or puffiness. I would suggest consulting a board certified dermatologist. If surgery is an option they will recommend. Best, Dr. Emer

Treatments for the area around the eyes

Thank you for your question Zipper224. A number of changes occur around the eyes as we age. Fortunately we have many treatment options. Fillers such as Restylane can be used to replaced volume loss under the eyes. Results are seen right away although there can be swelling or bruising for up to two weeks. Most people enjoy their results for approximately six months. Botox can be used to address the crows feet seen around the eyes when people smile. Results with Botox are seen in 3-14 days and most people enjoy their results for three to four months. Eye creams containing ingredients such as retinol along with skin tightening treatments such as Ultherapy and radiofrequency can work well in the eye area. Another product used in this area is Latisse, which provides longer, thicker, and darker lashes. I lived in Albuquerque for a year and I know there are many good doctors there. Please consult with one for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Sun, fun, stress, and time.

No surprises here.  You do have an early levator weakness in the upper eyelid with a compensatory eyebrow elevation.  This could be helped with a procedure I call Structured Microblepharoplasty.  It strengthens the tendon in the eyelid and removes a small amount of upper eyelid skin.  This helps make the upper eyelashes perkier, and the eyes brighter.  It involved upper eyelid surgery.  I think you could also benefit from chemical peels and under eye fillers.