do estethecians have to use halogen lamps while working?

I visited for a free consul with an estethecian today and even though she gave me tanning goggles, my eyes were irritated all night from her big halogen lamp. Don't those emit UV radiation?? and isn't that bad for skin and eyes?? is that common practice for them to use those halogen lamps while working on the face?

Do estethecians have to use halogen lamps while working?

Thanks for your query. Halogen lamps provide proper light for examination. It does emit radiation but are not as harmful as it is essential for proper examination of the lesion. Hope it helps.
All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Broad spectrum out lamp

This is poor choice for light .The Lott lamp which is full spectrum is beetle light which is used for people with seasonal affective disorder and has a soothing calmong effect.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Skip the facials and the goggles... Dermapen better

I always tell my patients, if a facial feels good for you to relax, get it. If you are actually trying to improve your skin in the long term, do Dermapen instead. You know when you go on a trip and you get a facial, you glow that day, then go back to looking normal the day after. After Dermapen, you glow for a month and get long-lasting collagen production.
You can get Dermapen (or microneedling) with blood or spun down blood to isoloate the PRP (platelet rich plasma). This boosts the efficacy of microneedling by penetrating your own growth factors deep into your skin, again, causing more collagen production and lon-lasting benefits for your skin. I prefer PRP over blood because we have isolated the growth factor portion of the blood to use in the treatment.
You can expect improvement in fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and a long-lasting glow. Personally, I love this treatment and try to get it done every couple of months. You will be addicted too. Promise!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Why do aestheticians use bright lights while working

Your aesthetician probably used what is called a Wood's Lamp. The reason is that it emits a color (spectrum) of light that allows the user to truly see all the colors on the skin. It is very common to use these types of light for aesthetic purposes and should not be dangerous to you. They are very different from tanning lights.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."