Breast Reduction, 32 DDD, breast feeding, am I a good candidate for a Reduction? Would I need implants?

Hello! I'm getting my first consulatation tomorrow for a breast reduction/lift and I'm a little nervous. I'm 26 years old and I weigh 120 and wear a 32DDD. I'm also a mother of 2 and I breastfed my first for 2 yrs. I'm still BFing my 2nd. My first question is do you think I'm a good candidate for a reduction? I would like to go down to a D if possible and I was wondering if I would have to get implants to achieve that size? The thought of something foreign in my body freaks me out a little.

Breast reduction without implants and without a vertical scar

At a 32 DDD, you would benefit from a breast reduction. You have plenty of breast tissue to avoid the extra cost, maintenance, and complications associated with breast implants. I have attached a short video of a woman who underwent  a breast lift that gave her increased cleavage and perkier breasts without breast implants or the dreaded vertical incision. Before having breast surgery, you must be done with breast feeding and lactation.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Good questions.  I'd like to add a couple of things from my perspective.  My feeling is that a breast reduction is done because you want to be smaller in breast size.  Putting implants only makes you larger so doing a reduction and implants isn't the right answer in your case.  Also, you have to be done breast feeding before going through with surgery.  After you stop breast feeding your breast size will likely get smaller and then you may discuss a lift versus a reduction.  Please address these issues at your consult.  Hope it goes well!

Eric Minns, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  If you remain a 32 triple D cup size reducing to a full C cup or D cup would dramatically improved symptoms of bra strap pain, shoulder, neck and back pain probably to your delight.  The only issue that I see is the fact that you are breast-feeding and would need to wait at least six months after cessation of breast-feeding to allow your breasts to settle to determine their size more accurately.  Most women experience a reduction in breast size and an increase in droopiness after completing breast-feeding but this does vary from person to person.

Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon when you are close to discontinuing breast-feeding for a face-to-face evaluation. Good luck and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Good candidate for a breast reduction?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Of course, definitive assessment and advice would require in person evaluation.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “proportionate” or “D cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

Breast implants are not necessary.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.