Body Contour Surgery.

I have lost a 100lbs after Gastric Bypass. My question is can I get a choice of things I want fixed in a sort of combination price? This is what I would (but can alter for cost savings), breast contouring, thigh lift, tummy tuck, neck and arm lift. Would I pay for each separately or can I do them with all together for one charge?

Multiple procedures after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Many patients with that level of weight loss will need excess skin removed and tightened in several areas.  It is best to see a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs body contouring as a significant portion of their practice, and discuss all areas of concern.  Together, you can both formulate a staged plan for the different procedures you would like to have.  Grouping of procedures during a single anesthetic can be done safely, and many plastic surgeons will have fee reductions for patients that are planning multiple procedures.  Best wishes for many  beautiful results!

A body lift is very customizable and will likely be performed in different stages.

Thanks for sharing your question. As you’ve mentioned, you can absolutely choose which procedures you’d like to include in your body lift, and breast procedures, thigh lifts, tummy tucks, and neck and arm lifts are all very common components of a body lift. However, because of the range of procedures that you’d like to include, your plastic surgeon will most likely design a surgical plan that divides these up into multiple surgeries, which may affect the cost. I would suggest consulting a board-certified plastic surgeon and let him or her know which procedures you’d like to include. He or she should be able to give you a realistic idea of financing options and how many surgeries may be necessary. 

When many procedures are needed

you can ask your surgeon if subsequent procedures would be considered under the multiple procedure discount that is provided by many surgeons, usually only at one time rather than over a series of procedures.  You are looking at staged procedures where 2 or 3 are done at one time then you heal and several months later, you go back for the other areas and have your revisions done as well.  This is where the allure of Costa Rica or Mexico attracts patients to take the chances of going abroad as its certainly much cheaper down there.  Know that if you have problems when back in the US, some surgeons won't even see you and others, and rightly so, will be charging you for every service you  need in your recovery.  Talk to your surgeon about possibly putting together a package for your many procedures.  If he/she refuses, there are others that certainly will provide that for you so keep looking.

Curtis Wong, MD

Body contouring after weight loss

Congrats on your weight loss. Many weight loss patients have multiple areas that they would like corrected. I will sometimes fix up to three areas at once depending on the patient. In my practice, I try to come up with a plan for staged procedures and tell the patient upfront what the costs would be for each stage. Many surgeons will give a discount to repeat patients or if multiple procedures are being done. This would be best discussed with your surgeon. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon when you are ready for your consultation who can show you their experience with treating after weight loss patients. Best of luck.

Joseph Michaels, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Body Contour Surgery

Typically we break the procedures up into more than one surgery.  For instance, it is common for me to do a Body lift with an arm lift, or a body lift with a thigh lift or breast lift.  I like to limit the total time in the OR to less than 7 to 7.5 hours.  In your case it is likely you will need two surgeries to get your final result. 

Combo procedures are common in plastic surgery after weight loss

Combo procedures have become a common approach in plastic surgery after weight loss.  Nevertheless, it remains ideal to keep the operation under six hours to minimize bleeding and surgical trauma. 
In terms of cost, each surgeon has different payment plans or requirements.  However, one advantage of combo procedure is that you only pay for one anesthesia and OR fee.  
But take note that the vast majority of MWL patients will have at least two (or more) operations to achieve the desired appearance or address symptoms caused by large folds of skin.

Body contouring after weight loss

Thank you for your question. Most of the time 2 or 3 procedures can be combined and this also depending on the overall health. Cost and the way package varies from place to place. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation and to discuss your goals.

Hello, yes many surgeon offer multiple procedure discounts. Often, you can combine 2 or 3 procedures into one surgery session and benefit from a lower cost. Practices vary on the way  they do this. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss your desires and options. Good Luck. 

Body Contour Surgery

The charges for combined surgeries is lower than for each of the surgeries added together. Combining surgeries is common  but must be done safely. Your wish list would probably require 3 different days of surgery to be safe. These are usually separated by 2-3 months. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Body lift surgery

Thank you for asking about your body lifting.
  • Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • Several procedures can be done at one time - but definitely not all at once.
  • You will need at least 2 and probably 3 separate operations.
  • I suggest you consult a plastic surgeon for an exam, discussion of what is most important and how many stages of surgery you will need.
  • The best first step is the lower body lift (tummy tuck + back lift) - breast surgery can often be done at the same time.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS