What would be involved in replacing with smaller implants? If I choose to explant, will the result be terrible? (photo)

I had 600cc HP Mentor smooth round cohesive gel implants placed submuscular via a crease incision approx 1.5 years ago. I am still experiencing pain, they are very tight still also. I had tuberous breast and my crease was lowered by approx 3/4". They are much bigger than I thought they would be after D&F and I have concerns that I might be experiencing mild capsular contracture or some type of reaction to them (pain, tightness, breakouts on skin all over, and "itchy on the inside" sensation).

Implant downsize in tuberous breasts

Thank you for your question.  There are several issues that might affect the answer to your question.  First of all, what was the shape of your breasts prior to the surgery.? Second, what was done to your existing breast structure when the implants were placed.  With true tuberous breasts there may be memories of the original breast shape that will become apparent when the current implants are removed.  If you desire smaller implants, you may require some modification of the remaining breast structure and overlying skin. I would recommend that you seek the advice of a highly-experienced board certified plastic surgeon with a major interest in breast surgery.  Best of luck.

Removal of implants.

I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time with your implants.  It is definitely not normal to still be feeling pain and tightness to this degree.  Removal and replacement of your implants is typically a much easier recovery.  Depending on how small you go, you may require some skin tightening as well.  If you choose to remove your implants altogether, I suspect given your preexisting tuberous breasts that you would be happier with some fat grafting to improve your shape.  Good luck!

Kelly Killeen, MD

What would be involved in replacing with smaller implants? If I choose to explant?

I am sorry to hear about the problem  you are experiencing this far out of breast augmentation surgery. Generally speaking, revisionary breast surgery to downsize breast implants tends to be associated with much less discomfort than first-time breast augmentation surgery. Depending on what size you wish to downsize to, adjustment of the breast implant capsules (capsulorraphy) may also be indicated.
 If you choose to undergo breast implant removal: what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant downsizing surgery concerns), helps.  You will find a separate page, on the same website, dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns.  Best wishes.