I'm 5 days post op. Is it normal to have headaches? (Photo)

hi im 5 days post op and just wondering if its normal to have headachs and a burning sensation at my insicion?

Breast Implant recovery at 5 days post op.

Thanks for your question.

It is normal to have some discomfort at your incision in the first few days.  In some instances, especially when a relatively large implant is used or favored patients may experience more pressure from the weight of the implant.  This is described differently by patients, but sometimes burning type pain is reported.  It is also normal to have headaches at times, but I don't think that is specifically related to your breast implant surgery.  In many cases people just become a little dehydrated.  Make sure to drink lots of water and use your medications as instructed.  Be sure to follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon to make sure you are healing as expected.

Best Wishes

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

5 Days Post Op

Hi there, thanks for posting your photos. The burning sensation you feel around your incision is very common. I am not sure if the headache is related to your recent procedure, but best to let your surgeon know if these symptoms persist or worsen. Best of luck to you. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

No is not normal, because at 5 days post op they might be a consequence of the epidural anesthesia .

You can make an exercise if the headache is present when you lay down, and disappears when you stand, probably is for the anesthesia. Call your surgeon and anesthesiologists will make a procedure to stop the headaches.

The burning sensation is absolutely normal.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

I'm 5 days post op. Is it normal to have headaches?

You have a good early result cosmetically speaking.  It is unlikely that your surgery or anesthetic is causing the problems. It could be your pain medication or general muscular tension following your surgery. Please followup with your surgeon.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Headaches after augmentation.

It's unlikely that your headaches are related to your augmentation in any way and, at 5 days, they're likley not anesthetic related- although that's possible.  Headaches could be related to any medication you're taking or just the general stress of recovery- aside for the totally unrelated causes of headache.  You are early post-op so you shluld see your doctor and be sure, in person, that all is OK.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Headaches and aug

I don't think the aug and headaches are related.The anesthetic should have worn off.Some burning in the incisions is normal.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Postop headaches and incision burning following breast augmentation

It is well within the range of normal to have the symptoms you describe at 5 days post-op. I would expect both to gradually improve over the next couple of weeks. The headaches could be a post-anesthesia effect, a side effect of a medication you were given, or even just related to the stress of surgery. The incisional burning is very common and improves as the incision heals. Sounds like you are right on track. Best of luck to you!

Amy M. Sprole, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon