Will I need another surgery after weight loss?

I lost weight to have my facelift in August 2012. AT 5'6" I was 150lbs. In just over a year I gained the weight back and more. Up to 199. Had gastric sleeve Sept 2014-ENOUGH yo yo dieting! I am wondering that because my weight was close to my goal (140) at the time of my facelift will I need another surgery to tighten it again? My face still feels tight around my neck and lower face, I assume this is in my favour. Any input would help, thanks.

It will depend on how much weight you have gained in your face. The slower and more constant you lose your weight the less chance of recurrent sagging of the skin. I agree it is a good thing you are still tight. Just dont lose weight too fast-give your skin time to adjust.

Major fluctuations in weight may affect the outcome of a facelift.

As regards to your particular case you will just have to wait and see. Major fluctuations in weight however can undo some of the benefits of a previous facelift.

Will my face lift loosen as I lose weight

Thank you for your question about your face lift.

It is impossible to predict because it depends on the resilience of your skin and deep tissues.
A second face lift to tighten tissues is often much easier to have than the first.
Congratulations on the decision to get healthy!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

It’s hard to predict the impact weight loss could have.

With your weight loss surgery having occurred so recently, it’s very early to estimate whether you might need a facelift revision. Additionally, there’s really no way to tell ahead of time how weight loss will impact specific aspects of your physical appearance. In some people, weight loss can drastically affect the face, while others lose weight around the body instead. Once you’re back down to your target weight again, you’ll have a clearer idea of your long-term facelift results, including whether a touch-up could be necessary.

Nirav Savalia, MD

While weight loss affects everyone slightly differently, in general, loss of 15 lbs or more will tend to show in the face as further deflation and sagging.  You may wish to consider further tightening procedure once your weight has stabilized.

Tom D. Wang, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

I realize you had your facelift done when you weighed 150 lb. You now weigh 199 lb. I know that you plan to lose weight and get back down to 150 lb. Most likely, your facelift will hold up during this weight gain and weight loss. There might be some residual looseness, however, I don’t believe it will relapse to a point of you requiring surgery.

Weight loss and its effect on your face

Significant weight loss affects different people differently.  Some people lose weight from their face and others lose their weight from other areas.  It will be terrific for your overall health to lose weight.  Hopefully things will be tight after your weight loss but time will only tell.  Best of luck.

Facelift and Weight Loss

I agree that it would be quite ticklish to predict what effect, if any, weight loss would have on the quality of your facelift result, especially if you plan to return to your pre-operative baseline weight. The amount of laxity or sagging of the skin that results will depend on many factors including the total time since surgery, your nutrition, sun-exposure,  stretching of the skin, and whether weight gain resulted in any metabolic effects like diabetes.

Hopefully you will be quite happy with your appearance after your weight settles. In the event that weight loss leads to diminished facial fat and volume loss, you may want to consider a facial filler treatment or skin tightening with any number of non-invasive or minimally invasive technologies. .

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after weight loss

there isn't a set rule about revision facelifts after weight loss. There are many factors involved. Your best bet would be to have your face evaluated by a board certified facial plastic surgeon once you are satisfied with your weight loss.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

2nd Facelift following Yo-Yo weight gain-loss

Hi terrora:

Each patient is unique. I would expect that time, continued aging and stretching of the skin amongst other factors such as smoking, weather, UV-sun, etc will have an effect on your face skin and soft-tissues. 

You may be pleased when you do settle to your stable weight or you may consider many non-surgical face firming and tightening procedures. If you do need a second facelift, you may only need a small tuck.

Review these considerations with your surgeon or other Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial ENT.

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS